cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 13

Re: How have BT selected which exchanged to upgrade and which not to?

BT are obliged to provide a whole sale service for their broadband including infinity. Recently there has been some sniping between BT and Virgin Media. BT wanted to use Virgin Media ducts to provide infinity services to areas which have Virgin Media, this will vastly reduce the costs of deploying infinity. However Ofcom said BT are not allowed to use VM ducts due to some mandate issue. Soon as BT announced that they have to provide wholesale service for Infinity so other ISP's can provide FTTC to their customers, VM announced that they will be buying wholesale from BT to provide in areas which they are not present.

So basically its like a "if we cant use yours, you cant use ours". Im not sure if BT have deployed infinity in an area which does not have VM...

In theory it should make sense that you take over an area where there is no competition, in our case BT go to a exchange where VM is not available when in actual fact where ever they go VM will follow throught the wholesale service. So it makes sense to compete directly and allow your direct competitor to use as little of your service as possible to claim as their own.

0 Ratings
YorkshireGuy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 13

So if I read your post correct, BT are not deploying BT Infinity in areas of York that do not already have Virgin Meida available to stop Virgin Media increasing there market share off the back of the BT Inifinty roll out to none Virgin Media areas. 

I suppose it makes business sense, but as a end customer that's really bad news.

0 Ratings
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 13

Theres no official word on this, but its clearly visable that is what is going on in york. Its like a standoff, thats my opinion based on facts. Nothing official. 😄

0 Ratings