cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sool
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

How is monthly average broadband usage calculated?

BT's latest broadband usage monitor gives upload, download and total usage figures.

Above that it says "Your average monthly usage is xx.xx GB."

Does anybody know how that average is calculated?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: How is monthly average broadband usage calculated?

@Sool wrote:

BT's latest broadband usage monitor gives upload, download and total usage figures.

Above that it says "Your average monthly usage is xx.xx GB."

Does anybody know how that average is calculated?

Hi.

I've wondered this as well. I've got all my end of month figures from Oct 2010 when the meter was introduced.

The nearest I get to the average is from April last year including the current month so far. Add them all up and divide by 12.

0 Ratings
Sool
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Andy, that's very helpful.

I only have usage data for the last few months, and this indicates that the average relates to a longer period as you suggest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@Sool wrote:

Thanks Andy, that's very helpful.

I only have usage data for the last few months, and this indicates that the average relates to a longer period as you suggest.

I've checked again this morning, with the updated figure for yesterday showing. The average shown has altered, and tallys with my suggestion of average since last April. Of course this only relates to my data.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Mine is averaged from when my broadband contract started. Moved home in October which is when new service started. Average usage shows as 166Gb. Had one month where I went wild and used over 600Gb but the rest have hovered at 100Gb so I don't believe it's averaged over a 12 month period.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings