cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

How is this remotely possible?

Hello, I mentioned this several months back but it seems things have changed a bit since then...

Here is an image of where I live:

broadbandmap.png

The green marker is the exchange.

The red marker is where I live.

The blue markers are two friends I know who live in a nearby village.

As you can see I live about 4 times closer to the exchange than both my friends. We all connect to this exchange and therefore our phone lines must travel the same direction and past the same obstructions/obstacles.

Heres the problem...

Our internet connects at about 2.8MBPS - 3MBPS giving us an average download speed of about 250kb/s

One of my friends has a download speed of ~500kb/s and the other ~600kb/s....

How is this even remotely possible that they can live 4 times further from the exchange yet get double my speeds? What can I do to get this fixed? Clearly BT have screwed up the route my phone line takes...

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: How is this remotely possible?

does look very odd.  have you checked their attenuation with yours which will give an indication of line length to the exchange?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

its 58 which implies ~4.2km line length, I think direct distance to exchange is 7-800m...

0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

Nothing you can do really if your line takes the around the houses route, Its the way it was put in years ago and getting them to change that will be hard 😉

Edit: although it could also mean there is some sort of error somewhere?

0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Years ago? this house was built 6 months ago 😉

0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

LOL major mess up then there. Unless you were conencted to that long pair to the exchange as its the only one that had free space availabe on it at the time?

It is bizzare though 😛

0 Ratings
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Are you sure that you're not mixing KBps & kbps up?  Your line would more or less give you a download speed of in and around 250KBps. 

As suggested a look at the stats for your mates connections would soon reveal all.  Otherwise it looks like your line is doing laps whilst your mates are shorter.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

yes im sure im not mixing Kilobits (KBPS) and kilobites (kb/s)

As I said I connect at about 2.8MBPS giving me a 250kb/s download speed. I dont know my mates Sync rate but I know they get download speeds of 500/600kb/s

Hence when the other day my mate says he's downloading a demo at 600kb/s I was gob-smacked. His line attenuation is lower than mine, I cant remember off the top of my head what he said but it was around the 50 mark so 8 less than mine. Either way his line attenuation (according to kitz calculator) implies a line length of 3.6KM so about 600m shorter than mine. YET he lives four times further away...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Just a shot in the dark but I wonder if the railway line between you and the exchange is the problem.  Instead of trying a direct crossing they have gone left or right to an existing bridge and an existing cable to connect your new home.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

@Sweeney47 wrote:

yes im sure im not mixing Kilobits (KBPS) and kilobites (kb/s)

As I said I connect at about 2.8MBPS giving me a 250kb/s download speed. I dont know my mates Sync rate but I know they get download speeds of 500/600kb/s

Hence when the other day my mate says he's downloading a demo at 600kb/s I was gob-smacked. His line attenuation is lower than mine, I cant remember off the top of my head what he said but it was around the 50 mark so 8 less than mine. Either way his line attenuation (according to kitz calculator) implies a line length of 3.6KM so about 600m shorter than mine. YET he lives four times further away...

Not a lot you can do then as your line must be doing a load of laps before getting to your property. 

One of my brothers has a simialr problem (lives a few hundred meters from me) and can only get 1mbit down and 448kbps up.  His line does a few laps of the area whereas mine is a direct underground cable.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings