Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trevorh_211
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How is usage Calculated

Hi,

Starting new thread so I don't hi-jack anyone else's.

Started with BT on 22/2/11. A few issues with speed and router resetting which now seem to have settled down, (touches wood).

Got an e-mail advising me that I had used 32GB out of the monthly allowance of 40GB. Not an issue in itself.

Looked at the Broadband usage last month and it seemed to reset itself to zero on the monthly anniversary of my joining BT. Ok I thought, rolls over each month of membership.

The usage tool tells me that I have 7.65GB left until the end of the month, 30/4/11.

I would like to understand what is meant by a months usage, 1st Day of the Calendar month to last day of calendar month, or monthly anniversary of joining, e.g. 23rd to 22nd of following month.

It seems to me that a month is being stretched out by an extra week. Or putting it another way, if BT adjust the period over which measurement is made, should there not also be a pro-rata adjustment in the allowance?

Also very concerned by the some of the threads showing usage recorded on the online tool bearing no relation to what is shown on the router.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: How is usage Calculated

It may be different for the first month, but BT calculate usage by calendar month.

The information given tends to be one day out-of-date, so on the 1st of a month, it will tell you what you used in the previous month.

0 Ratings
Trevorh_211
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks
0 Ratings
redls
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I have been with BT nearly 18 months (end of contract) and assumed, wrongly it seems that my usage went from start of billing period to end of billing period ... the month for which I paid ...I have never used my than 75% of my allowance according to my own monitor in use the whole time ...before BT thought to provide one.

Now all of a sudden in 10 days I have used more than I normally use in a whole month!

I see many others are having/have had this problem and I think BT need to be clear on their monitering/billing month.

I must admit, I did think it was a ploy to get me to upgrade at the end of my presdent contract!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

@redls wrote:

I have been with BT nearly 18 months (end of contract) and assumed, wrongly it seems that my usage went from start of billing period to end of billing period ... the month for which I paid ...I have never used my than 75% of my allowance according to my own monitor in use the whole time ...before BT thought to provide one.

Now all of a sudden in 10 days I have used more than I normally use in a whole month!

I see many others are having/have had this problem and I think BT need to be clear on their monitering/billing month.

I must admit, I did think it was a ploy to get me to upgrade at the end of my presdent contract!

Hi.

The BB usage is per calendar month, hence it is actually very clear. If you din't mind me saying, you are slightly confusing your contract date and the 70% usage email you've received (as I mentioned on the other thread post). That 70% email refers to April, and if received in early May it may not be that unexpected if the usage reaches that level in late April.

0 Ratings
apbristow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

It is the 3rd of May - I have just received an email telling me I have used over 7Gb of my monthly allowance.  I only got home on the 2nd from over a month away - I have done nothing more than access a few webpages and download emails.  Something must be wrong!!  MS Office has updated itself (671Mb) and Win 7 has downloaded and updated a few upgrades.

I'm now going to watch how BT measure monthly usage like a hawk - if they are claiming more than I've used I'll be onto 'Watchdog' and the Consumer Association like a shot.  Beware..........

Andy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

@apbristow wrote:

It is the 3rd of May - I have just received an email telling me I have used over 7Gb of my monthly allowance.  I only got home on the 2nd from over a month away - I have done nothing more than access a few webpages and download emails.  Something must be wrong!!  MS Office has updated itself (671Mb) and Win 7 has downloaded and updated a few upgrades.

I'm now going to watch how BT measure monthly usage like a hawk - if they are claiming more than I've used I'll be onto 'Watchdog' and the Consumer Association like a shot.  Beware..........

Andy

Hi Andy. Welcome to the forums.

Does the received email say it was for April ?

Have you checked the online usage meter (see my shortcuts www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts options 14d-14g) to see what you've used since 1st May ?

For extra information, was your router on at all during the time you were away ?

0 Ratings
apbristow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply - I'm still on hold to BT phone helpline since I got the email 80 minutes ago!  I have access the meters in My BT but all it tells me is the usage is now 9.6Gb and underneath it says the end of the accounting period is 31 May so I assume that the period it is talking about is May.  The email I recieved specifically refers to May.  The Home Hub has been on (I'm registered for BT FON) but the computer has not been.  

Andy 

0 Ratings