cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

How long before we see mass FTTH from BT? 5 years, 10 years.....

While my speed is greatly improved from ADSL I'm happy even though its not as stable and keeps getting lower, started at a solid 78Mbps and 3 months in down to 54mbs but when will we see a mass rollout of FTTH. I can't see this happeningr many many years......I'd do it myself with a bit of training as I'm not that far from the cabinet.

This is were I really envy projecst liek B4RN they seem to be doig a great job.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: How long before we see mass FTTH from BT? 5 years, 10 years.....

Maybe when the number of people who really need super speeds exceeds the number who can't get a decent broadband service at all.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

If BT are serious about delivering tv content via the net, they need to offer FTTP \H. Families nowadays use the net for lots of things so the demand for bandwidth and maintaining speed grows exponentially.

Despite Infinity, many people myself included experience bufferring when viewing YT's or programme content over the net.

Myself, I'll never personally rely on tv over the net until BT or another supplier provides FTTP\H at reasonable cost.

IMHO, BT will not see the demand for their tv service grow until people are assured of bufferring free viewing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

FTTH won't necessarily speed things up.  A lot of websites can't keep up with demand now.  Remember your connection speed is fundamentally dependent on the slowest link in the chain.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 5

It's going to depend on demand from consumers, not many people need even the 60-70 from infinity 2 at the moment 4k streaming could be a driver for demand here. Then there is cost considerations, basically BT need to make money, and cabling up those last few hundred meters to every house won't be cheap, coming back to demand. Many people won't pay what it costs for fftpod, even with a mass rollout how much are people willing to pay monthly and for initial setup. I think new services will drive demand. More converged networks for fixed, mobile, calls and data. 4k video maybe even better home working connections that could run over seperate PVCs with fibre to the home.
0 Ratings