cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AGeezer
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

How long can it take for BT to repair a BT line?

I am concerned that I am going for some sort of record!

I have been having problems with my telephone line, there is no dial-tone and the DSL is all over the place.  After checking that it was not an equipment failure on my side I logged a fault on the 9th February.  Literally within hours (I was impressed) I had not one but two BT vans outside to trace the fault.  They very efficiently diagnosed the problem to be a connection fault with the wire that was replaced about a year ago (the grass has only just grown back in my front garden).  That was it.  A week later I still had the fault, the fault web site says the ticket was closed and so I called in to 151 and was told “an engineer would be with me by 5pm that day”, they were not.  So the next day I called again and was told “an engineer would be with me by 5pm that day”; fearing a bad case of deja vu at this point I asked to speak with a supervisor who was very understanding.  However, basically I was told that the line is waiting for contractors to dig up the wire again and would have to wait until “next month”.  How long should this take?

I am at the point where I am waiting for some undefined point in time for someone to dig a hole so that someone else can come along and fix the wire.  I have been a BT customer basically since I left home, quite some years ago, this line alone I have had ADSL on since early 2001.  At this point I am considering dropping everything I have with BT and switching to another provider entirely.  I try to do my bit for the environment and work from home when I can, currently I either hit the environment and drive into work or it cost me on my cell phone.  The only reason I have not already as I know that they would end up providing the connection over the same wire – perhaps their customer service will be better…  If there was virgin cable in my street I would have switched already!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 7

Re: How long can it take for BT to repair a BT line?

Hi AGeezer,

If the road has to be dug up then there needs to be permission granted from owner/council and of course the road must be closed etc so sometimes it can take a while to get all this arranged.

I'll be happy to keep you up to speed and let you know what's happening as the updates come through.

Could you drop me in an email please with your BT account and telephone number along with a link back to this thread.

Just send to the email address in my profile and mark FAO Craig please.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AGeezer
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi Craig,

I dont think the road needs digging up, they have remarked the pavement (just off my property), I also live in a cul de sac so not a major road anyway.  When they first dug the hole it only took a few days - perhpas then I was just lucky.

I will take you up on your offer and send you over my account info.

Thanks

/AGeezer

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

If its in the road the EU will probably insist on cones for 2 miles either side of said hole Smiley Very Happy

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
AGeezer
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

There is progress....  The sun came out, two men arrived in hard hats, dug a hole, then went away.  I maybe in danger of getting my line repaired before next month after all...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
AGeezer
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Woot!  I very frendly and thorough Openreach engineer arrive this morning to fix my lines, fingers crossed everything is working as it should again.

0 Ratings
AGeezer
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Well the contractors have come back to fill in the hole in the pavement, unfortunately they have not put in an access box to the join as instructed.  This was prety much the cause of my fault, when the line was repaired ~1 year ago they did nto put in a box either, the action of filling the hole broke the connection and allowed water in.  I after the next spell of continious rain I will likely get the same problem and go through this pain again!  Oddly enough it only took a day for them to fill the hole where as it took weeks to dig it - I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, I suspect three people may have walked by in the 4 days the hole was there, I dont think safety was the issue.

Give that my lies were out for some time, time for which I am paying rental etc, does anyone know how I go about getting compensation or even a refund?

Thanks,

/AGeezer

0 Ratings