cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 11 of 62

Re: How long does it take for a cabinet to get power......

Go to solution

Theres been no visible work on the cabinet since I was told by an openreach engineer last October it just needed power.

Its extremely frustraiting and I hope its sorted soon.

0 Ratings
Maunder
Beginner
Message 12 of 62

Go to solution

I can't believe this thread is marked as SOLVED - Countless members of the new estates in this part of Haydock missed out on the VM install and our only option is to use the BT infrastructure..... Or is it. . . . .

I'd had enough of being promised by BT's band of telesales operatives that the Infinity "switch on" was "Imminent" after waiting for almost 18 months, enough was enough.

4G speeds are between 15 and 18 Mbps in this area and so I ceased my line with BT and switched the whole house over to 4G. Now everyone can connect at the same time and we're not fighting over a useless 0.5 mbps connection.

Sold our house phone as well so that paid for the first two months of line rental.

0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 13 of 62

Go to solution
The question if how long a cabinet takes to get power had been answered but not he fact we are still stuck with a **bleep**ty 1mb connection!

I like your 4g theory however I presume you are on either EE OR 3 neither off whom I would touch with a barge pole based on previous experiences!

I have emailed openreach again to see if I can get a clear reason for this inexplicable delay! Not like there isn't power in the area now is it!
0 Ratings
rigs101
Contributor
Message 14 of 62

Go to solution

I would not hold your breathe, I am in exactly the same position as you and have been for 3 years next month. The tracker just gets to the date and they add a new date. Openreach won't tell you anything. 
It really is a joke. 

0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 15 of 62

Go to solution

Shockingly I got a response from Openreach. Not really what I wanted to here but at least I have a 'realistic' date now.

"I have checked with the project manager for St Helens exchange cabinet 39 and he tells me there have been some further issues and this cabinet is not likely to be upgraded until the end of March 2015.

Deploying fibre cabinets is a complex engineering challenge. It involves not only provision of fibre, but availability of power connections, planning consent for the cabinet itself in some cases, road closures, traffic management permissions and space within our duct network to make the necessary connections.

In a small number of cases we encounter problems which take time to resolve and can delay the cabinet by several quarters. In the vast majority of cases these delays are caused by either power provision (we cannot utilise domestic or street lighting power sources) and local planning permission. We work closely with the power companies and local authorities to minimise such delays.

In order to avoid repeatedly delaying and changing dates for these cabinets, we have moved their due dates to the end of our commercial programme. We will continue to seek solutions for these cabinets and where possible will activate them before the end date given."

I'm pretty sure the cabinet is in so it must be something after that.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 62

Go to solution

probably trying to get power to the cabinet.  I have a cab in my are just like this which was installed a year ago but there is a problem getting a power supply

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 17 of 62

Go to solution

Yeah thats what I reckon it must be. Its right on a main road (I think) and not too far from a substaion so its quite annoying. Especailly as we cant get virgin so are stuck with 1mb as we are 4.5 miles from the exchange. #

0 Ratings
bendybully
Beginner
Message 18 of 62

Go to solution
I am in the same boat... P23 top of cooper lane in Haydock. 1 meg connection, a whole street with no fibre and after 2 years of waiting I am starting to loose hope. You would think that some bright spark at BT \ Openreach would realise that this is where they are guaranteed custom!!!!
0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 19 of 62

Go to solution

what a joke.png

Just in case anyone is still wondering.....

WHAT A JOKE. Time to look a for a reliable 4G mobile solution and considering cancelling my BT contract I think.

0 Ratings
stevenj
Beginner
Message 20 of 62

Go to solution

It is a joke isn't it. I'm the same. I'm on cabinet 69 and it's just changed from September 2014 to September 2015!! I'm trying to work out which cabinets are enabled exactly to try to work out whether it could be a fibre ducting issue (e.g. if every cabinet North of a certain location are not enabled then it could be that running the fibre past a certain point is a problem) or if it's just a power issue. When the NGA enquiries people at Openreach were responding, they told me it was both, but I'm not sure they really knew.

I've written to the MP and Councillors, in the hope they can find out more. It can't be a demand issue, else why go to the bother of installing the actual fibre cabinet and not hooking it up? (my fibre cabinet has been installed for 14 months now!).

0 Ratings