cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

How long does it take for bt infinity to get connected ?

Hello I am just wondering I saw them doing work adding fibre optic cables outside my house since before Christmas and about 2 or 3 weeks ago for a few days any one know how long it normally takes to get the fibre optic cables connected to the exchange? I am not connected to to the cabinet but they said they have a new way to connect houses to the cabinet Green box My exchange.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWPADS.

I checked the bt checker but it says I can't get it yet. Just looking for more information

Any info would be appreciated

Thank you
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4

Re: How long does it take for bt infinity to get connected ?

Mine has been 7 months in the ground and still nothing, depends if its done with the commercial rollout with open reach or if its done by the BDUK which is through government funding, I have been told its with isp's as we speak, so its a matter of days or weeks or even months, its a waiting game I am afraid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 4

@stephen1982 wrote:
I am not connected to to the cabinet but they said they have a new way to connect houses to the cabinet Green box My exchange.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWPADS.

I checked the bt checker but it says I can't get it yet. Just looking for more information

Any info would be appreciated

Thank you

Hi stephen1982,

Just to confirm, are you on an exchange only line as the link you posted will not work for me.

If so you cannot get Infinity yet.  BT are owrking on putting cabinets outside exchanges to enable E/O lines to get FTTC.

However, I don't think many have been installed as yet.

I'm sure one of the CL's will be along with a more detailed answer soon.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

dfenceman is correct. If you are on an Exchange Only (E/O) line you will not be able to get Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) or as it's known in BT's case "Infinity". This affects all ISP's with the exception of Virgin who use a different system.

Openreach are not as yet allowed to install FTTC cabinets inside exchanges so they are in the process of placing cabinets outside some exchanges to allow the connection to be made there. This is not a high priority for them and as far as I am aware only a few have been done. It could take years for all the E/O lines to be put onto cabinets and there appears to be no way of finding out if your exchange is on a list to be done.

0 Ratings