cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
W_I_Stuart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

How long should it reasonably take to fix a fault?

Hi

Transferred to BT on the 20th of last month.

Everything was going well until 11:30 on Wednesday evening when my connection dropped. I restarted and reboot the router but didn't make any difference. When I got home from work on Thursday evening there was still no connection so I phoned the help desk. After going through the process of rebooting and resetting my router again and confirming what kind of sockets I have in the house the support person eventually ran a line test and confirmed that the fault could be tracked to the BT servers. She couldn't do anything to fix it but told me she would escalate the issue and I would be called the next evening.

Friday evening I get a call from another person who wants to run through the script to check my home sockets etc. eventually she conceded that this was not neccesary and yes the fault was at the BT end. She was not able to give me any credible insight into what had been done in the 24 hours since I raised the ticket to try and resolve the fault. I was told it might be fixed in the next few hours but she arranged a call-back for me the next evening.

Saturday evening I get a call from yet another person who, whilst pleasant, could give me absolutely no confidence that anything was actually being done to resolve the issue. Apparently the fault had been passed to BT  wholesale.

Sunday - pretty much a repeat of Sunday.

Monday, still no service and now I am being severely inconvenienced because as a home worker I am having to travel instead to my company's nearest offices and cancel out-of-hours meetings that I had scheduled.

My gut feeling is that nothing is actually happening and that if the right person had been assigned the ticket the fault could probably have been rectified very quickly. Am I being unrealistic? Is there anything I can do to actually get some progress on this? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: How long should it reasonably take to fix a fault?

are there any problems listed for your exchange   http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php 

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/? 

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

if you are working from home you may wish to consider a business lne which has a far better service policy as against a residential line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
W_I_Stuart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi

I've checked for exchange / service faults and none are listed nor have been since my problem occured.

The help desk identified the fault as being on the BT Retail Servers on Thursday and this is shown on the fault summary on MYBT. 

Your suggestion of upgrading to a business contract is noted but I don't feel it is appropriate for me, nor should it be necessary. All I am looking for is a standard level of service, or what I would expect that to be. So far, I'm not getting close to that - I'm getting no service at all. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

to add to imjolly's post it is also in breach of BT Residential Terms & Conditions to use a residential line for business use and can lead to suspension or termination of service
if it is at the retail servers then it is in the hands of Openreach /BT wholesale and is currently out of BT retails hands
0 Ratings
CraigS
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 10

Hi W_I_Stuart,

Welcome to the forums.

I am sorry that you have had some trouble getting your connection fixed.  If you drop me in an email I'll have a look and get it sorted out.

Just use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
W_I_Stuart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

@john46 wrote:
to add to imjolly's post it is also in breach of BT Residential Terms & Conditions to use a residential line for business use and can lead to suspension or termination of service
if it is at the retail servers then it is in the hands of Openreach /BT wholesale and is currently out of BT retails hands

I'll look into the T&Cs to see if I am out of compliance but this is irrelevent in terms of the problem I am having.

As to the second part, I am sick to death of hearing that from the helpdesk. As a customer, I do not care which division/subsidiary/supplier of BT needs to fix the problem and to be repeatedly fobbed off with the equivelent of "sorry, but our right hand doesn't know what our left hand is doing" is just shockingly bad customer service. 

Anyway, now into day 5 since fault first reported. Latest update from the very nice but so far wholely ineffective helpdesk is that the fault at the BT Retail Servers has apparently been resolved but there is now a fault between the exchange and the cabinet. 

0 Ratings
W_I_Stuart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

@CraigS wrote:

Hi W_I_Stuart,

Welcome to the forums.

I am sorry that you have had some trouble getting your connection fixed.  If you drop me in an email I'll have a look and get it sorted out.

Just use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

Thanks Craig. I'll email you now.

0 Ratings
W_I_Stuart
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Hi

Well, it's happened again! 

Sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning I lost service again. Tried rebooting and resetting the router without success. Phoned the helpdesk Saturday evening and am now wating for 2nd Line supprt to call me back, sometime over the next 24-48 hours apparently.

I will drop the mods a message and hopefully they will look into it for me.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

A PM to the mods will not work you need an invite from the mods via the contact us link

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

once you have re contacted the Mod team they should reply personally in 3?5 working days
0 Ratings