cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 21 of 29

Re: How much further should I expect my infinity 2 to drop ?

Go to solution
Unfortunately, it's not correct. The cabs have sufficient capacity for all 80/20 connections.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
gravy1
Contributor
Message 22 of 29

Go to solution

well that's what I thought.... fibre should be able to carry enormous amounts of data. But there are no faults in my area, BT confirm my line is good and my speeds are acceptable (BT does not guarantee any speeds.... but then no ISP can). the neighbour said that speed will possibly increase after midnight between 5% and 15%. Hmmm I don't think that is right. (but I will check Smiley Happy)

I'll try raising a fault ticket even though there is no fault...

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
0 Ratings
gravy1
Contributor
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution

I spoke to a lovely lady today called Mita, she was kind and helpful. She said there is no fault and that is the correct speed of infinity 2 to my area. She will speak to a supervisor today and call me tomorrow to see whether it is possible that anything can be done.

I was told speeds would drop but perhaps I was a little optimistic thinking they would stay a little higher a little longer.

just as a final (clutching at straws) idea.... just to rule out that some of the neighbours may be stealing my wifi.... is it possible to bypass the modem and go direct from the openreach box to the pc ?

and if yes then how ? (other than just plugging the ethernet cable in.... or is it just that simple ?)

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution

Your neighbours would need to know your wireless passkey for your homehub. To set your mind at rest go into the hub management pages and check what devices are connected or change the passkey.

It is possible to plug straight into the modem but that would require the socket that is presently being used by your homehub to be used.

0 Ratings
gravy1
Contributor
Message 25 of 29

Go to solution

Hi Thanks for the reply but I ran into a bt engineer at work today.... he said because of how old my wires are (electrical and BT) I live in an area with at least 3 power outages each year... each power cut would coincide with a small drop in speed. (which did explain the drops from 72 to 68 to 63 to 58 to 55) He said something could be reset but definitely would not. He suggested I reset my HH3 after backing up the configuration (which I did) as it may make a small difference. It did my download speed jumped up 5mb to 56mb but my upload speed halved to 8mb. He said it would probably remain between 45Mb and 60Mb depending on distance from the cabinet but also said Infinity 1 would less likely be affected and maybe change to that as the difference between them shrinks.

0 Ratings
gravy1
Contributor
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution

sorted.... the neighbour and his brother popped in and a little "testing" bang 72Mb Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
1stfibre1991
Contributor
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

im having a similar problem but without the power cuts.

what testing did they perform?

0 Ratings
N4uTiLuS
Beginner
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution

I posted on another thread about my speed on infinity 2.

Just something worth bearing in mind is if you have multiple phone sockets that you don't use get them disconnected.

When the bt engineer came to sort my slow speeds out,just by disconnecting the unused four sockets increased my speed from 30mbs to 46mbs. He then wired the installation correctly,and I now get 65mb,which is 10mbs above my estimate,and the cab is full.

0 Ratings
1stfibre1991
Contributor
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution

I think I might have figured out what going on.

Just checked The wire that The engineer said was The data extension kit to find out that he just used an old telephone extension that was already near where I wanted The hub.

The engineer was a Quinn's contractor so I suppose it was in the interest of his wallet to do a half job and leave me half the speed I could be getting.

Excellent wonder how long it might be before they can fix this

0 Ratings