cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How often is too often ( Resetting homehub 5)

I know you are not supposed to reset the homehub 5 ( line stability, IP profile etc)

But I cannot see any other way of resetting just the router part. When I do reset it everything gets faster and the ping is instantly 10-20 ms better on games.

If I reset it once or twice a week is that going to ruing my line in the long run or would I gain a better quality of line by just leaving it on for weeks/months?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: How often is too often ( Resetting homehub 5)

Once or twice a week should not effect anything and particularly if you do a proper reset rather than pulling plug out. It is repeated on and off that can be interpreted by DLM as a fault.

I would however leave it alone if you are not having any problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Provided your line is generally stable and providing the speed expected, then once a day is fine.  More than that might cause problems (though in practice two or three times in a day isn't likely to cause problems either).

If the line is slower than it usually is, then it's best to leave things for 3-5 days to stabilise.  This allows the exchange to decide that the line problem has cleared, and it should bump the speed back up to normal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 8

Agreed with the other comments.  

• Worst thing you can do is to disconnect the connection to the master socket while it is running.  In that case, DLM at the cabinet sees a broken connection with absolutely no prior warning and is likely to interpret it as a fault.

• Next worst is pulling the plug.  The HomeHub should be able to send a last-gasp 'dying' warning to the cabinet, but ...???

• Resets shouldn't really matter.  The HomeHub should negotiate an orderly shutdown of the connection with the cabinet as the first part of the reset.
    BUT I don't think any of us knows for sure, so keep to gg's once or twice a week.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 8

There is way too much FUD when it comes to turning off modems. Even the guidelines for ADSL were you was ok to do 10 reboots in a 60 minute period and it would appear fibre is nowhere near as fickle and the recovery process is much more robust.

I have turned off my HH5 4 times this morning trying to eliminate the reasons why it is so **bleep** (different RJ11, putting the OR modem back on etc) and each time it has resynced at the expected speed (6. Data rate: 20000 / 79995).

In the last 2 and a half years of being on infinity my speeds have never been reduced due to me turning off the modem be it because of me or because of rapid power cuts in a rampant storm.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

I see you cant even say cráp lol well done BT for making a pretty tame word look much more worse that it actually was.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks guys. I have been resetting the homehub 5 using the software interface in the system options so it has not had the power chord pulled out etc. It definitely makes a difference If I do it once or twice a week to my ping times. Download and upload speeds still remaining the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

0 Ratings