cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aj1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How safe is BT as a provider?

From every direction these days we are warned about identity theft and how important our information and security is. So I was amazed this week to receive a standard marketing mailing trying to sell me a BT Sim Plan with a computerised signature from Libby Barr Managing Director of "Customer Care" . There are 5 pieces of information that protect me from crooks on the BT site - Name, Address, BT Account No.,BTID and my Password. Quite incredibly the first four pieces of information listed are printed on this one communication that is available to anyone in the postal service or I assume BT itself and that then leaves just my Password to protect me. 

Am I crazy or this an appalling breach of my security? I am now looking to cancel my e-mail addresses and go elsewhere where I feel more protected but before I move completely away from BT I just wanted to ask, since I am no way an expert, what other members of the Community think about this behaviour. 

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.  Thank You 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
yogipandya
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: How safe is BT as a provider?

Hi, I had this e-mail (did not look right somehow - right click in the e-mail address) and I sent it to phishing@BT. They were good. Sorted out my issues.
0 Ratings
aj1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for replying but it doesn't help as it's not the same as BT themselves printing most of my personal information on an unprotected marketing mailing selling their other services.
0 Ratings
yogipandya
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Speak to their Fraud Section. Sorry that they did not solve your issues. I agree the e-mail from Libby Barr did look very convincing. I just happened to be on high alert at that time due to my issues. Best wishes.
0 Ratings
GillC6
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Of course you must do what you feel comfortable with but having said that, all the utility bills, credit card  and bank statements & suchlike that I receive have account numbers, credit card numbers & so on printed on them so this is a widespread practice. Speaking entirely personally it does not concern me. I am careful with passwords & always shred mail & that is sufficient for me.

I understand that it is possible to opt out of receiving marketing mail (I think you have to request it via live chat or by phone) - perhaps you might want to do this?

0 Ratings
aj1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Hi, Thank you for replying.  You are right, I posted this because I don't want to over-react. However, I am not so sure you are correct. I can only speak for the Banks and Financial Institutions with whom I deal personally but every one of them never writes to me with information such as this. They always write with part of my Postcode as an identifier. Statements etc I have opted for paperless for the environment and above all for security so I download once logged in any detailed information, the same with Utility bills etc so I am left with only BT behaving so badly and breaching my security in this way which astounds me.

I am grateful for the suggestion on opting out of their marketing via CHAT.  I had gone through the website (in circles) to find an opt out but had not considered the chat.  I shall see if that solves the problem. Trying to speak with BT staff on a telephone (as experienced multiple times in the past) is a waste of time. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

@GillC6wrote:

I understand that it is possible to opt out of receiving marketing mail (I think you have to request it via live chat or by phone) - perhaps you might want to do this?

I'd recommend doing that on here, I tried 3 times via the phone and got no where. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
aj1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Hi, Yes I agree. However, I spoke (after the last post) to Chat and the guy with whom I spoke was clearly not able to understand me properly! I started by asking "How do I opt out of BT marketing letters" His first reply was "How do you need it?" I said "Need what?" he said "Marketing letters". I said "I don't what them I want to stop them"!. He then said "Ah, send an e-mail to :- consumer.marketing.data.team@bt.com and ask them to STOP the e-mails" stop the e-mails?? is he kidding me?
Anyhow, I have written but goodness knows what will happen next if anything. Regards
0 Ratings