cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

How to ask BT to unblock an IP address?

Since the switchover started from BT Yahoo! to BT Mail, my work emails are unable to be sent to my private BT email account (in fact any mail sent from my work IP address  is blocked) it seems to be on some sort of "banned" list at BT. 

Is there a way to get BT to check if my work IP address is on their "blocked" or "banned" list and apply for this to be lifted?

The reason this is terribly inconvenient is because I travel a lot for work so I get my work mail forwarded to my BT mail when I'm on the go so that I can keep up to date with clients etc. Unfortunately, since the switchover from Yahoo this is no longer working and mail gets returned rejected to anyone who sends me mail from my work IP to my BT internet email account.

Please help as it is really important for my work.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: How to ask BT to unblock an IP address?

can you send emails to your work email address from your bt account? and if so can you then reply?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Yes I can send email to my work email address from my BT account but I cannot reply as it gets rejected.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

probably easier to set up a third party email address like gmail or live mail or hotmail and use that for forwarding your work email.  that way never a problem should you decide to change ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

What is the address of the server that is blocking/rejecting the emails? You can find this in the header of the returned emails.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Below is the message received:

<*****@btinternet.com> (mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk: 421

smtpin29.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - no PTR record for

**IP address blocked inserted here***)

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

There are no problems sending to Gmail accounts or to Yahoo accounts, and there were no problems sending to BT internet accounts before BT & Yahoo began separating. But now suddenly I cant send to my BT internet address or any BT internet address for that matter.

Opening an account with a competitor such as Hotmail or Gmail is not really a solution. It's almost like saying BT internet is not reliable enough so you are better off with a different company. The purpose of this forum is to help find solutions rather than give-up and go to another company.

If eventually it cannot be solved then yes I will quit on BT. But since I have had this address for years and all my archived work material is saved in it I would much rather try and salvage the situation by identifying who in BT's customer care fo I need to speak to about getting a specific IP address unblocked?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

The answer lies in the reason that Critical Path are rejecting it - no PTR record on your company's mail server. So you are not on a blacklist, it's just that CP don't accept incoming mail without a PTR Record. More info about that can be found on the two links below. It sounds as if it is your admin side that needs to sort it out, or your ISP.

http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B961.html

http://hosting.intermedia.net/support/kb/default.asp?id=1317

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

@daaboul wrote:

There are no problems sending to Gmail accounts or to Yahoo accounts, and there were no problems sending to BT internet accounts before BT & Yahoo began separating. But now suddenly I cant send to my BT internet address or any BT internet address for that matter.

Opening an account with a competitor such as Hotmail or Gmail is not really a solution. It's almost like saying BT internet is not reliable enough so you are better off with a different company. The purpose of this forum is to help find solutions rather than give-up and go to another company.

If eventually it cannot be solved then yes I will quit on BT. But since I have had this address for years and all my archived work material is saved in it I would much rather try and salvage the situation by identifying who in BT's customer care fo I need to speak to about getting a specific IP address unblocked?

I suggest that you phone or email Critical Path Inc that provide BT's email service.

https://support.criticalpath.net/contact-us.html

and point out they have again failed to follow normal practice and need to change.

This is yet another case where they have got it wrong see 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/SMTP-error-5-4-0/td-p/1048558

for background information.

I would also raise a fault report with BT asking them to also raise the issue with Critical Path.

Hopefully a moderator will also get involved.

It is not that your IP address needs to be unblocked but that Critical Path needs to follow de facto standards.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Well you can listen to the "voice of sanity" and get into an argument with BT/CP if you want, or you can just ask your ISP, who is causing the problem, to sort it out by creating the PTR record. 

As one of the links I gave states
"Not every IP address has a corresponding PTR record. In fact, if you took a random sampling of addresses your firewall blocked because they were up to no good, you'd probably find most have no PTR record - a dig -x gets you no information. That's also apt to be true for mail spammers, or their PTR doesn't match up: if you do a dig -x on their IP you get a result, but if you look up that result you might not get the same IP you started with.

That's why PTR records have become important. Originally, PTR records were just intended as a convenience, and perhaps as a way to be neat and complete. There still are no requirements that you have a PTR record or that it be accurate, but because of the abuse of the internet by spammers, certain conventions have grown up. For example, you may not be able to send email to some sites if you don't have a valid PTR record, or if your pointer is "generic".........  If you don't have a PTR record, and can't get one ....... you will want to send outgoing email through a server that does."

I think it's right for CP to be proactive on email security - I just wish BT would move me onto them and off Yahoo. Maybe then I'd get fewer of the false BT emails!

0 Ratings