cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 28

How to be treated as a new customer

I currently have a BT phone line and a Unlimited BT Infinity Broadband 2 package, neither of which are in contract.  I'm paying "full" price for both and have discussed options with the BT retention team, but honestly, the discounts offerred are pathetic compared to what new customers can get.

I therefore plan to leave BT and sign up for a new Unlimited BT Infinity Broadband 1 package.  This package is available through a 3rd party, with BT, and offers broadband for £12.50 per month plus line rental.  There are fees of around £56 to activate and have the BT Hub delivered, but it also offers £150 BT Rewards card and £50 cashback, which more than offset the fees.

What do I need to do to be treated as a new customer by BT?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: How to be treated as a new customer

@milleniumaire wrote:

What do I need to do to be treated as a new customer by BT?

Move to another provider for your phone and broadband, then return to BT when your minimum term is completed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 28

I have already looked into this, but the only "no contract" deals available seem to be on "slow" broadband connections.

I was considering cancelling my Broadband with BT, then simply signing up to a new BT Broadband deal through a third party.  Would this work?  Obviuosly, there may be a period of a few weeks where I don't have broadband, but I could live with this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

I don't know if that would work. You would need to cease your line with BT which would incur a £30 cease charge and you will lose the telephone number you have which might not be an issue to you.

As far as I am aware,  BT do not do no contract broadband products. Even although you are going through a third party, you are actually not contracting with them, your contract is with BT. All the third party are doing is acting as a broker for you and BT. 

All I can suggest is try it and see. It may of course backfire on you and you incur the cease charge and still be treated as an existing customer because the name on the bill will be the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 28

"because the name on the bill will be the same"

I would actually sign up for the new BT broadband package in my wife's name!

I guess because the third party offer talks about activation fees, it would be for a brand new line and broadband package as it includes line rental.  I assume therefore that I would have to cancel my existing telephone line rental and would then, as you say, get a new phone number.

I called BT Sales and they told me they could provide me with a brand new BT broadband package, as a new customer, if I accepted a new phone number and that they could do this immediately.  Not sure how that would fit in with my existing line rental as clearly there would only be a single physical phone line!

They also told me that to be treated as a new BT customer I would have to cancel my BT broadband package, then wait for 3 months before taking out a new BT broadband package on the same telephone number!

So, as a long time, loyal, existing customer I can't get the preferential deals that new BT customer can get, but I could change my phone number, then I would be treated as a new customer and I could get new customer deals, but only through BT, not through a third party!  Utter madness!!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

I suspect that you would be very very lucky to get the same phone number after three months.

As regards the "new" customer deal you could get immediately, BT would probably install a new line and you would be charged for both lines. 

If you do cancel your broadband package, even although you are out of contract, you will be hit with the cease charge because you are not transferring to another ISP. This would still apply even if you took out the "new" BT package in your wife's name because the old package etc is in your name.

If it was easy to get the deals that new customers get, everybody would do it. It is not only BT who offer the best deals to new customers.

It might be worth considering leaving BT and taking up one of the other ISPs "new customer" deals for a year and see how you get on. You can always return to BT at the end of that contract and get the deals that BT will offer you as a new customer then.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

you may also end up with a long wait for infinity again if your cabinet has a waiting list on it as you cannot just transfer infinity it is a cease and reprovide
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 28

BT sales told me there would be "no charge" for providing a new telephone number, which would then allow me to be treated as a new customer.  I don't believe it involved installing a new physical line, but I didn't go that far.

Maybe I will call them back and discuss the option further as it seems like a quick way of getting what I want - a decent broadband deal from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 28

I am not a BT engineer so I could be wrong, but to install a new line just means using another pair from the wires that already go to your house. It does not mean physically running another line.

As regards the charge I was meaning for two line rentals.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 28

I understand the existing wire could be used, but what you are suggesting would require some work to be done at the house to make a second line available.  This wasn't what they were offerring, so my assumption is the current line rental would be canceled and a new line rental, with a new BT telephone number would take its place.  Nothing physical would need to change.

I then become a "new" BT customer, so can get the new customer deals.  It's unfortunately that BT makes existing, loyal customers jump through hoops just to be treated the same as new customers, but if that's the game they want to play.....

0 Ratings