Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 28

Re: How to be treated as a new customer

Keep us posted how you get on. Call me cynical but I suspect it will not be a smooth journey and you will not achieve exactly what you want.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 28

No problem, I will update this forum with my experience.

Yesterday I cancelled my broadband, but afterwards realised I need to cancel my phone line and broadband, so today I have cancelled by broadband cancellation!  Unfortunately BT's systems are such that they can only process one order at a time and it will take 24 hours for the broadband cancellation to be revoked.

Tomorrow I will cancel my broadband and line rental.

I spoke to a VERY helpful young lady at BT today (after a 25 minute wait to get through - that's worse than HMRC!!!!).  She acknowledged it isn't that unusual for customers to cancel their line rental and broadband as a means of accessing new customer deals.

She also said it may be possible to keep our existing number, but we wouldn't know until we sign up to join BT again.  When we get the new customer letter, this will show the line number we have been given and we can then call them and ask if it's possible to use our "old" number.

My wife would like to keep the existing number, but I don't care as I don't use the landline anyway, other than for broadband.

My biggest concern in doing this is how long we will be without a telephone line and broadband, but unless I try, I won't find out!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 28

Just thought I'd give an update as I'm now progressing this further.

A month ago I cancelled my BT broadband and line rental.  To cancel broadband alone requires a weeks notice, however, to cancel the line it requires a month's notice.  If they are both cancelled together it takes a month.  As the cancellation day approached I realised the selected day wasn't convenient, however BT have a nice online facility that allows you to change the day.  The problem with this is that when I eventually decided to change the date, it was Saturday and I was then told it was too late to make any changes to the order!  So, my broadband and line went ahead and was cancelled on the Bank Holiday yesterday.

I immediately went online (using my mobile) and ordered a new package through Money Supermarket.  At the end of the process I was told it would be 3 weeks before my line and broadband were activated.  3 weeks!!!!  So much for the 7 days that was mentioned to me by BT customer support.  They will re-use the existing line, so it's not as though much work needs to be done, possibly a switch at the exchange.  At the end of the day, it's their loss as they're not getting any money from me, when they could be.  I will use my mobile for tethering as the 4G speeds at home are just as good as the Infinity speeds.

The deal I signed up for is half price infinity 1 for 12 months, plus £40 M&S cashback.  The monthly price is £10.  A month ago, when I first started looking, the cashback on offer was around £200, so I've missed out there, but will still be paying a LOT less than I was for Infinity 2 or for any "upgrade" BT could have offerred me as an existing customer.

It's just a shame it takes them 3 weeks to flick a switch!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 28

So it would appear that so far what I said in message 11 is turning out to be correct.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 28

Seems like a whole lot of hassle to save a few quid
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 28

It's too early to tell.  It's been relatively smooth so far, so I wouldn't say it hadn't been a smooth journey, but there's still plenty of time for things to go wrong.

Disappointed about the length of time, especially as BT customer support indicated it would be no longer than a week to get me connected!

If you don't try these things you never know.

Webby, you say "Seems like a whole lot of hassle to save a few quid".

A few quid is around £5! We are talking over £20 per month saving on the package I was on, so that's £240 for the year.  This may not seem worthwhile to you, but I'd rather spend this on something else than give it to BT.

I'm guessing you're one of these people that simply pays the renewal premium on insurance, rather than shop around or even take out a new policy with the same insurer for a considerable saving!  As an example, just got our Tesco pet insurance renewal through.  It has increased by £10 per month to £28.  5 minutes online and I've purchased exactly the same policy for £18 per month again.  Do this every year!  I despair at people just paying up when they receive renewals - it's a big con in the favour of the insurer!!!

I recently negotiated a Sky reduction of £30 per month during a phone call.  It wasn't much hassle, but it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't made it.

What I'm saying is, if you don't get off your backside and do something, you don't get it!

Why is Broadband any different?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 28

I got a good deal using the customer options team with one phone call without going through all the hassle you did
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 28

You don't have any idea of what kind of person I am or what I do with my money, and quite honestly, it's none of your business 😉

There's definitely no need to stop and start services. I, like most, wouldn't want to be without service for a day let alone almost a month, so if that meant paying a little bit more per month, then so be it.

There are many other service providers out there who you could have compared the price of and asked BT to match or beat. Did you try that?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 28

Of course I tried calling BT customer support and getting them to offer a good existing customer deal or match the deals of other companies.  Not only did I call them a couple of times to make sure I didn't just get a bad support person, I also used the BT live talk facility.  

I didn't take cancelling my line and broadband lightly and didn't want to particulary do this, but the BT offers were rubbish compaired to new customer deals, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Webby, I think your comment "Seems like a whole lot of hassle to save a few quid" says more about you than you may think Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 28

Just to add my bit about shopping around. I shop around every renewal date for all my contracted products for example, Insurance, car insurance, AA renewal, broadband etc and on every occasion I have always managed to negotiate a better price than original quoted for the renewal.

On all occasions they have either price matched or given better than any of the companies I looked at and frequently I end up paying less than the previous year.  This includes my broadband renewal.

I do have to agree that doing what you are doing does seem an unnecessarily convoluted route especially if you are going to have to do the same in a year's time but if that is what suits you then who am I to disagree.

0 Ratings