Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How to cancel BT services before end of contract

Go to solution

Hi, We are moving to a house that has no BT service and could not wait for this to be fitted for medical reasons - especially as a much worse broadband speed than here would be available.

We have Broadband unlimited with an anytime calls package and pay £20.60 per month. We also paid for Line rental a year in advance.

Our contract runs to 31 July and I accept that we will have to pay until then and lose any line rental we paid up front not yet used.

My question is what is the best way to proceed.

Can I give notice now to quit on 31 July or do I have to give a months notice FROM then?

Can I ask BT to take the payments up to cancellation from my direct debit in one go when due in about the third week in June? I would rather cancel this then as we are moving banks too in June so do not want to set up a direct debit just for July when we have already cancelled.

Do I have to give this notice in writing to BT and can anyone estimate what I will owe. 

Will it be basically £20.60 from third week in June to third week in July plus about a quarter for the end of July - so about £26. Or will an extra month be added to end of August = around £46?

Or do I have to add on an anytime calls sum as well?

Also will there be an termination of broadband fee to pay as we are moving into a house with Virgin phones already fitted and nobody at Virgin has asked for any MAC code referenced in the BT Terms - not even sure what that is? 

Oh, and I believe I can keep my BT e mail address if I pay a monthly fee? Will that still work now that BT Yahoo Mail is ending as I have not yet been moved from there by BT?

Thanks for your patience over all these questions.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to cancel BT services before end of contract

Go to solution
Hi

I am sorry to see you are having problems

I suggest you contact live chat at this link they should be able to help you

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

yes you will be charged the £30.00 broadband cease fee as Virgin do not use the MAC Code
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Keep us posted in this as it can be quite complicated for BT to get their ducks in a row!

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Will do. Thanks to everyone. Looking like it will be quite expensive. 

If I just pay to the end of the contract and give the 30 days notice THEN will the £30 charge still apply?

The new people moving in here may well want BT and broadband as there is no Virgin here or likely to be in the forseeable future. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
yes the cease fee will still be chargeable as the charge is raised by Wholesale to remove broadband from the line at the exchange equipment and update line records
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Been on hold on the chat for quite some time now and still number 11 in the queue - started at number 20! Not sure I can hold on tonight as at the rate it is going it will be an hour before I reach number one.

I think I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice everyone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8
Moved:

Does BT Guarantee Wireless Slow Connection and Dropping Connection

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Re: Does BT Guarantee Wireless Slow Connection and Dropping Connection

Go to solution

Okay I finally got through on the chat link posted above.

They were helpful and friendly but said I had to talk to someone on the phone to give the 30 days notice. I could do that now but it would only come into effect on 31 July when my contract ends.

They promised the relevant person would call me within 72 hours. Hope so as if beyond that we will have left.

I was also given an address www.bt.com/payment to pay the final bill I would be given so I could cancel my direct debit after we leave. It will next be due in about 2 weeks and I would happily pay all the final bill that way if they can give it me in time. Just to get this sorted as the move is a big enough deal without worrying over this.

Will see what happens re that call back.

0 Ratings