cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
g7mzh-2
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How to contact engineers

I wanted to call the engineers because I had a question. Perhaps rather stupidly, I dialled 151 (because that's the published number). The person who answered said she was in Billing, and told me that's what 151 was. I asked to be put through, and she proceeded to ask me a load of irrelevant questions to "validate the account" whatever that means (she couldn't explain). Eventually she gave me the number of Openreach, (a) weren't there and (b) probably couldn;t answer my question, being the department that deals with poles, street cabinets and the like. The BT woman obviously had no idea what I or she were talking about, and had no concept of what anyone else in the company did.

Is it too much to ask that the published number actually connects the caller to the people the publishers say it will?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to contact engineers

151 is the only phone fault number i would suggest you try again you cannot contact Openreach as they do not deal with the public and they deal only with service providers
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Forum members may be able to answer your question, what is it?

0 Ratings
g7mzh-2
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I was after a dial test facility (are tones/pulses within spec?) which used to be available but seems to have disappeared. I rather naiievely thought that someone one 151 (who might be technically knowledgable) might be able to help.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Are you aware of the split between BT consumer and the rest of BT , in particular Openreach and TSO,
Because of complaints that BT as a group favoured their own 'consumer' division at the expense of others, like Talk Talk and Sky, the regulator OFCOM decided that you the consumer should only speak to your service provider and they would speak to their supplier (Openreach, BT Wholesale etc.), there is no reason why a BT consumer rep would have any technical knowledge , they deal with bills and what is on offer for you to purchase 
You can only realy speak to OR to report dangerous like plant, like a leaning pole, or a cabinet door open, as your query is not lineplant related , you would probably need to speak to BT TSO, (the department that deals with the exchange switch and other technical stuff) and thay have no need to offer the public a number to contact them on

0 Ratings
g7mzh-2
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Hmm. I can understand the thinking, but the way it was implemented is completely cockeyed and pleases the pen-pushers but benefits nobody, least of all the end user. It's like having to go into my TV shop if I want to know when Eastenders is on (the difference being, the man in the telly shop will probably know). The lack of connection between the departments means that it is impossible to find someone who knows anything other than what is written in front of them, and any initiative seems verboten. (Staff training is another problem, which I shall avoid on this page.)

It used to be the case that if you rang the engineers you could speak to one (especially after office hours when the usual telephonists had gone home), if you rang the operator you could speak to one without having to listen to a load of recored gumf first (and they could do stuff) and if you rang sales or billing they could answer your questions promptly and accurately. None of this is possible any longer. It's so difficult to get what you want now I think BT don't like people ringing them 🙂

I know people tend not to work outside their own field, but I could never work without knowing as much as possible about the company I worked for, what they did, how they did it, and so on. Or am I just too old-fashioned for modern industry and those of us who actually care are too close to retiring to be relevant?

Thanks

g7mzh

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Openreach now provide and maintain the network for around 500 providers now not just BT and Openreach make it very clear on their website they only deal with service providers BT have no problem answering questions if the question is current technology not with the greatest respect now as old as the ark and older than the person answering the call
0 Ratings
g7mzh-2
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

No, the one that's as old as the ark I haven't got round to yet! This one is only as old as the ark's landing stage 🙂

Still, it's a pity when companies lose all their historical stuff and the people who know about it. I remember, years ago, visiting the BT Museum at Blackfriars, the contents of which were disbanded to various museums (and probably skips). But that's perhaps a discussion for another time and place.
0 Ratings