Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimpar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

How to disable BT WiFi hotspot notifications

Hello
I wonder if anyone can help me please?
I have a Motorola moto G second generation phone and on Friday I updated to Android version 6.0. Ever since then, whenever I am in a BT hotspot area an alarm notification goes off - which, after a while, gets a bit annoying! I've tried to alter both the app settings and the phone's settings to get rid of this notification but I've had absolutely no success.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might rid myself of this annoying ringing - short of uninstalling the app, which I don't really wish to do?
Many thanks for any possible assistance. Jim
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 25

Re: How to disable BT WiFi hotspot notifications

Welcome to the forum. The app has a setting to turn this off; if that doesn't do it, uninstalling and reinstalling the app might be worth a try. Otherwise, you could just turn the phone wifi off until you actually need it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Jimpar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Many thanks for your reply. I had thought about uninstalling and then reinstalling the app, but wasn't sure that would do the trick. I'll certainly give it a try though!! If it works, I'll let the whole world know!!!!
0 Ratings
ShamblesX
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 25

If you've upgraded to Marshmallow you cannot prevent the sound (& possibly vibration) occurring when your phone hits a wifi hotspot. It's not the BT app that's doing it. And no, until Google provide a fix or toggle, you cannot turn it off. Annoying, innit?

Jimpar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, annoying is an understatement! Here's hoping there is some kind of fix for it soon.
0 Ratings
nately2003
Beginner
Message 6 of 25

I also have the same issue since upgrading to Marshmallow on my Moto G 4G (I wish I never had!). Thank you for informing us it is a Google problem. Do you know if it affects other phones / wifi providers, too? I am hoping that if it does, Google will do something about it soomer rather than later.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 25

Am I missing something here? If the bleeping is annoying, presumably you're not looking for a wifi connection. If so, why not just turn the phone's wifi off until it's needed?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
nately2003
Beginner
Message 8 of 25

A bit more research and I found that this issue affects pretty much every phone with Marshmallow:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/rb9LAD5gTi8

I think I am going to get an iphone now....

0 Ratings
RJ414i
Contributor
Message 9 of 25

Also having the same problem with my Moto G 2nd gen since updating to marshmellow.

I have uninstalled/ reinstalled the app, turned the sound toggle on and off but it still notifies me with a reconnection.

When i walk a few hundred yards from home the bl××dy thing is 'going off' 5 or 6 times.

It really is annoying.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 25

Nobody's yet said why they don't just turn wifi off until needed.

--
0 Ratings