Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 25

Re: How to disable BT WiFi hotspot notifications

Too easy.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Jimpar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 25

Hi Dave,

I should be extremely grateful if you could explain precisely how to solve the problem for the benefit of us technophobes!!

Many thanks.

Jim

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 25

I think DD's post was an ironic comment on my previous one, with people choosing to continue the complaint rather than take the simple option of keeping wifi turned off. Nobody has said why they don't do this, and I'd be interested to know what permanently on achieves other than running down your battery and receiving a bleep from the BT app every now and then.

A simple toggle widget on my HTC home page activates wifi in seconds and I daresay that similar is available for other phones.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Jimpar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 25

Hi pottyperson, 

No doubt that you're absolutely right in all that you write about turning off the wifi option on my phone and that is the most sensible thing to do under the circumstances. I'm just disappointed (as are a few others I suspect) that despite this "problem" having apparently existed for more than 6 months, there has not been a real fix or "work around"to it. Still, it is what it is and we'll just have to accept the situation I guess.

Many thanks for all your input on the subject.

Jim

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 25

Have you tried "forgetting" any BTWifi-Fon networks that are presently showing on your phone. I have found that if you do that it will not automatically connect to the BTWifi network until you select one and connect to it again and thus do not get the connection ringing everytime you pass a hotspot.

0 Ratings
Jimpar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Thanks for your response.

I believe the problem isn't solely related to BT WIFI hotspot - it seems to activate every time it picks up a wifi signal so long as Wi-Fi is turned on on my phone. As mentioned in earlier posts, I understand that this has been an ongoing "problem" since last October and there doesn't appear to be any sign of a fix for it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 25

It must be a phone problem if it is happening with every wireless network and not just BTWifi. The BTWifi app only notifies and connects to the BTWifi signal not all wifi signals.

Have you gone into the phone wireless advance settings and unticked the "Network Notification" box? 

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 25

There's an Android setting to notify whenever a public network is available, quite independent of the BT app. With wifi on, go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Settings again (vertical line of 3 dots) > Advanced > Network notification. If that's ticked, try unchecking it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 25

@ShamblesX wrote:

If you've upgraded to Marshmallow you cannot prevent the sound (& possibly vibration) occurring when your phone hits a wifi hotspot. It's not the BT app that's doing it. And no, until Google provide a fix or toggle, you cannot turn it off. Annoying, innit?

See my post of about half an hour ago. Is that what you want?

--
0 Ratings
Jimpar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 25

Thanks once again for your additional advice. I don't think I've tried that yet, so I'll certainly give it a go! Fingers crossed.

0 Ratings