Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dezontk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 111

How to disable the stupid BT FON..?

Smiley Mad

For some reason my new homehub 2.0 has taken it upon itself to activate BT FON, and the BT Broadband Talk "features". When I noticed I disabled the broadband talk straight away, but I can't seem to find a way to disable BT FON feature. My hub shows it as   BT FON

Active.

How can I disable this, I didn't even sign up to that **bleep**. I know it's broadcasting because my laptop is picking up the BT Fon hotspot with high signal strength.

0 Ratings
110 REPLIES 110
dezontk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 111

Re: How to disable the stupid BT FON..?

For helping anyone else. http://www.btfon.com/support/faqs#point06
Solved it for me.

I am sorry for my previous post, but in my line of work I know nothing is inpenetrable, and I have alot of privilaged company information stored on my network.

Still not happy that this was activated without my knowledge.

Sam.

**another point - on my magically-created-without-my-knowledge bt fon page, it lists me as :

Your BT FON account details

BT Total Broadband Option:BT Total Broadband Option 3

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I have BT infinity option 2. Seriously come on..**

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 111

Snap same if you check on BT Yahoo account page, at least its correct on my BT's accounts page BT Infinity Opt 2.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 111

if you've only just moved to BT Infinity then that is the reason why BT Fon became activated, as all new customers or contracts taken out after 2008 automatically get added to BT Fon

0 Ratings
EdwardP
Message 5 of 111

I am too old to be technical. I find am part of FON and that takes part of my broadband width - what functionality will I be losing having parted with it? It was there for a purpose? Can the wicked more easily read my stuff if they are using part of my bandwidth? Is security diminished? EdwardP
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 111

@EdwardP wrote:
I am too old to be technical. I find am part of FON and that takes part of my broadband width -
Only if somebody's using it - otherwise, it's all yours.
what functionality will I be losing having parted with it?
None whatsoever.
It was there for a purpose?
For other people to use.
Can the wicked more easily read my stuff if they are using part of my bandwidth? Is security diminished?
No, and No.

Message 7 of 111

First thing is to cancel the membership at the BT Fon Website http://www.btfon.com/

Next, goto your router with a paperclick and place it in the small hole on side of homehub to reset

This will remove BT Fon off homeHub but you may find the BT Talk will activate!

CG

CG Over An Out
Message 8 of 111

@EdwardP wrote:
I am too old to be technical. I find am part of FON and that takes part of my broadband width - what functionality will I be losing having parted with it? It was there for a purpose? Can the wicked more easily read my stuff if they are using part of my bandwidth? Is security diminished? EdwardP

One of the benefits of having FON allows you to connect to other BT HomeHubs with FON activated.  I found that on my line, i lost 512KB of speed.

I can get 8Mbps and was getting 7 1/2 ish when FON was switched on, once disabled, i now get 8 and a bit Mbps at good times!

If you connect via FON, you are provided a different IP address (starting 10.) which is outside of the standard BT Homehub ip address starting 192, however i feel that there may be some clever clogs being able to hack into this area via the 10. address (i may be wrong but you never know)

CG

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Sobryma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 111

Just spent an hour or so trying to get rid of this which seems to have invaded half our network. You can't even lauch/search google.

Another example of another company run by baffoons

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 111

all you need to do if you are connected wirelessly is to ignore bt fon and openzone and connect the connection named bt home hub using the encryption code on the back of the hub problem solved that way