cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cm1977
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

How to extend WiFi range using a second hub

Hi. I've got 2 BT hh6 and wanted to extend the range by connecting them together via a tp link.  I've done it with my previous sky hubs. I've followed a previous guide on the forum but can't seem to get them to work. I've got the second hub to work initially but once you reconnect to the main hub again you can't connect back to the second. It just hangs on obtaining IP address.  Any ideas? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
ypt
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: How to extend WiFi range using a second hub

Hi,

When I did this with a Hub 3a (my present Hub) and a Hub 2, I had to disconnect the DNS on the slave Hub i.e. the one that is not directly connected to the broadband. Also the ethernet to the slave was plugged into an ethernet port rather than the broadband port - effectively the slave was acting as a network switch with it's own wireless hub.

Michael

PS there is another post on the next page which explains things better - I did forget to mention that the slave needs a different IP address to the primary hub.

0 Ratings
Cm1977
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks ypt. I have allocated a new IP address (outside of the main IP dhcp range) for the slave and disabled dhcp. How and where do I disable DNS?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

You can't and there's no need, the first hub will be handling DNS. Are you sure its not a problem with the master HH6 allocating IP addresses. There are a number of posts on the forum regarding DHCP problems with the HH6.

0 Ratings
Pjhuk
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

I have the same problem.  I currently have a HH6 master with a HH5 & HH3 succesfully acting as Access Points /wifi extenders in my kids rooms.  I am trying to set up a 2nd HH6 as a Access Point at the far end of the house but am having real problems with the wifi.  Wired connection into the Sky mini bix is fine - just the wifi that seems to have trouble.

0 Ratings