Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djlaps
Beginner
Message 11 of 20

Re: How to find contract end date?

I'll explain it better by giving a bit of background:

My contract ends on the 16th of January, so I contacted the BT customer service via chat (great thing, really) to give notice and make sure there was no monthly auto renewal since I haven't used their service for a while anyway; this is the relevant extract from my conversation with the customer service person:

ME: in any case, can we make sure it ends when it's supposed to end and there'll be no monthly autorenewal or such, please?

Customer Service: No the contracts are not auto renewal you need to contact BT if you wish to renew it or you will be able to do it online. We will not renew the contracts without your permission

ME: just asking, cause for what I know Once your annual contract is finished you go onto a monthly rolling contract which you can stop at any time after giving 30 days notice.

ME: at least that's what they say on your online forum

Customer Service: Yes after the contract you will be in monthly contract in which you will be able tocancel the services by giving the 30 days notice

ME: i want to give this notice now

If I didn't mention that I was aware of the existence of this monthly contract extension, they would have just happily omitted it, and by telling me:

No the contracts are not auto renewal you need to contact BT if you wish to renew it or you will be able to do it online. We will not renew the contracts without your permission

I would have understood that my contract would have just ended in January, no need for other calls and giving notice. I would have then found out a £35 bill on February and it would have been too late to do anything about it. To me this is quite deceitful. And very bad 🙂

StewM
Guru
Message 12 of 20

@djlaps wrote:

If I didn't mention that I was aware of the existence of this monthly contract extension, they would have just happily omitted it, and by telling me:

No the contracts are not auto renewal you need to contact BT if you wish to renew it or you will be able to do it online. We will not renew the contracts without your permission

I would have understood that my contract would have just ended in January, no need for other calls and giving notice. I would have then found out a £35 bill on February and it would have been too late to do anything about it. To me this is quite deceitful. And very bad 🙂

I am not sure what you are trying to prove here. Are you saying your annual contract finishes in Janauary? If so, then if you don't renew the annual contract, then you will be placed on a monthly rolling contratct. Where is the "quite deceitful. And very bad"?

Stew

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 20

@djlaps wrote:

I'll explain it better by giving a bit of background:

My contract ends on the 16th of January, so I contacted the BT customer service via chat (great thing, really) to give notice ...

I disagree with the assumption that the contract will end on the 16th Jan, and also disagree with some of the terminology used by the BT rep.

As I said earlier the contract will have a minimum term of 12/18/24 months. I'm guessing that this minimum term is what is being completed on the 16th Jan?

The contract may also have included one or more agreed discounts that usually run for 1/3/6/12/18/24 months. It is possible that one or more discount is also due to end on the 16th Jan.

But just because you have completed the minimum term, and possibly a discount or two have ended (and hence the overall monthly cost goes up), doesn't mean the contract has ended or changed in any way. There is no need for them to secretly end that contract and start you on another different rolling monthly one with different terms. The original contract terms and conditions cover all of that. That is the contract you agreed to.

I'm certainly no legal expert, but I strongly suspect that they would be obliged to inform you if they were ending one contract and starting you on a different one, and give you the option not to agree to the new one. In my experience insurance companies certainly do this every year when fixed term 12 month contracts are being used. 

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 20

Take as an example just my current broadband contract.

• It started in August 2014.
  • It has a minimum term of 12 months.
  • I agreed to subscribe to BT Infinity 1 (40GB) @ £18.
  • In order to convince me to sign up they gave me an additional 12 month discount on Infinity 1 of -£2.35.

So what happens come August 2015? Well not that much really. A bit of good and a bit of bad.

• My 12 month minimum term is completed so I no longer have to worry about any early termination charges if I give 30 days' notice to cancel. (hurrah!).
  • My discount ends, the entry disappears from following bills, so I carry on just paying the full price. (booo, hiss!)

It is entirely up to me whether I then choose to contact BT and negotiate a new contract, or just let the current one run on, or cancel and move to a different provider.

Note: The Dec annual price rises have now slightly changed the figures to £19.15 and -£2.50, but the principle still applies.

djlaps
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

Stew, I asked to make sure my contract would end on the given date, aka no more paying BT after January; she omitted to mention that without me giving 30 days notice, in February, I would have got another £35 bill to pay, for nothing. What is that you don't understand?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

As you will no doubt have read your Terms and Conditions that you agreed to when you started your contract you will already be aware that you need to give 30 days notice if you are leaving BT or 14 days notice if moving to another provider so how are BT being "deceitful and very bad."

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

Ending the service

1. Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time, either by giving 14 days' notice if you are switching to another provider through an approved switching process, or by giving 30 days' notice if you are leaving for any other reason. We will accept an order you place with another provider using an approved switching process as notice, or from you direct via a range of methods including phone, e-mail, online chat and in writing. You can contact us to give notice using any of the contact details set out on your last BT bill or any other means of contact we have given you, for that purpose. We can stop providing the service to you by giving you 28 days' written notice.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 20

At the risk of muddying the water still further, I'll try to explain things a bit differently.

You must have a contract with BT as long as they provide a service. It's for the 30 days notice (14 in some circumstances) required to terminate the service. If you do not give notice the service will simply carry on, and the contract will continuously apply for the next 30/14 days.

BT may offer (or impose on new customers) a special deal in return for a commitment to keep the service for a specified period (usually 12, 18 or 24 months). Technically, the length of the contract is still 30/14 days because you remain entitled to give that notice, but there will be a penalty charge if you do so within the specified period.

It has become common parlance to refer to the specified period as "your contract" but that's misleading and frequently results in confusion. This used to be compounded by ISPs renewing the specified period once it expired but they are no longer allowed to do this. The penalty for giving notice is automatically removed on expiry of the specified period, but the special deal will be lost unless you ask for another one and agree another specified period.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
rangermike
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

I think that BT must gain something from failing to notify you when the contract ends, it would be simple enough for them to put the date on your monthly bill. From my experience last time I missed the end of my contract I found out when my next bill came and I was paying for phone calls when my contract included an anytime package, so it seems there is an end to a contract otherwise that would not have happened. BT  seem to be more interested in finding new customers than dealing with the concerns of existing customers

JenksB79
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

Agrred there is no auto renew on the contract but you also need too be aware that they willl catch you in other ways, I had a problem with my BT hub 5 and an engineer reccomended that I get a hub 6 to replace it, this I did at the cost of £69.00 for the new hub, when I checked they had extended my contract by a further 18 months as I had a "discount" on them new hub this despite returning the old hub to BT, I also added data to my sim only contract to find that it was linked to the BT TV contract and so that was extended for a further 12 months because of the £5.00 discount It also applies if yo get an add on like caller I/D to your home phone line you have requested a contract "change" so it is renewed, beware of Greeks bearing gifts evrytime BT offer you something you will probably renew your contract by default, I'm sure it's somewhere in the fine print in the terms and conditions 40 page document they hope you wil never rread.

0 Ratings
JenksB79
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

however they will extend your contract for 12/18 months if you get an add on to you service such as adding an offer to increase your data plan on mobile, or replace a faulty hub with a paid for new one as they give you a "discount" on the new hub which you get charged £69.00 for and a new 18 month contract
0 Ratings