The whole village of Luib on Skye has been cut off because the main road was being resurfaced and the machine digging up the tarmac ripped up and mangled the main phone cable on 30th March. (Not the road menders' fault, but BT's because they never buried the cable properly. In fact, they didn't bury it at all, just hid it in the verge.)
I have logged the fault on my line and can get a standard amount of info using the online fault tracker. The thing is that all that's available is a standard message saying the phone is expected to be fixed in 3 working days. We (the villagers) don't think this is likely: It's happened before and BT need to order up a supply of the thick cable AND arrange traffic lights etc. We fear it's more likely to be a couple of weeks at best.
How can we find out more useful information? I tried phoning BT and pressing various buttons, just got the standard fault info, then was asked if I wanted to continue. When I pressed 2 for "yes" a voice said "Thank you for calling BT - Goodbye." That wasn't the sort of continuation I wanted!
I have to say that we are heartily sick of the poor treatment we get here on Skye. BT seem to think that because we in a remote place we are not a priority. But consider this: Luib has both private houses and businesses, including mine, that need a phone service and broadband, credit card faciilities etc. and WE DO NOT HAVE ANY MOBILE PHONE SIGNAL. This means we are totally cut off. What if there is a medical emergency?
OK: Rant over. But can anyone suggest how I might escalate this and/or find out some solid information. If it turns out there's a wait of a couple of weeks is there any way of putting pressure on to speed things up?
Thanks. Yes I'm aware of this but it doesn't give me any more info than I already know. Ideally I'd like to speak to a local engineer. In the past this was possible, but alas not now it seems.
However, there are good signs: BT vans have been spotted on the roadside despite the torrential rain. Perhaps I really should just give them a chance and hope the fault is fixed by Wednesday!