cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How to find out when Broadband speed improvements are being made

We’ve been in this property for three years now and are still getting very low speeds although we are paying for Fibre 1.

download is around 10mbps and upload is around 1mbps.  When I try and upload a video to youtube, for example, it can take around 17hrs for a 4GB 45 minute video.  While it is uploading it brings the download speeds right down which makes me very popular in the house.

We had engineers out when we first moved in and eventually Openreach confirmed the above speeds were the max for the property.

Is there any way of finding out when speeds are likely to increase in a given area or to a specific street/house?  I was hoping after 3 years we might be approaching the speeds we are meant to enjoy with this package.

Trying to keep a youtube channel going with these speeds is very difficult and I’d rather not find myself being divorced 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to find out when Broadband speed improvements are being made

if your connection speed is about 10mb then you are a long way from the street and therefore only way you are going to get faster connection speed is if openreach install FTTP in your area

you can enter your phone number and post results   this will show what is available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Thanks so much for your fast reply!  We have a green cabinet at the end of our short road but I seem to remember being told our road, which was new build 4 years ago, isn’t connected to it, but to one further away.

I ran that check as you suggested and this is what it gave me.  Unfortunately doesn’t mean much to me lol

D641D19E-C137-4184-850D-EC8EAFBF2DA9.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

which exchange and cab are you on as you deleted that when you deleted your phone number

your estimated speed range is 18/11mb and you are just at the bottom end

have you tried using the test socket with a filter which is behind the front plate of master socket to see if that improves your connection speed by eliminating your extension wiring and also faceplate from causing problems

can you also check your line for noise   dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best done with a corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Ah sorry yes, Yateley Cabinet 8

Unfortunately we don’t use the BT line and don’t have a phone, we just use mobiles.

the engineers ran the tests however and in the end the low speed was put down to the distance to cabinet and that we were seeing what BT expected us to see.

i was just hoping 3 years later there was a way of finding out if there was improvements on the horizon.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

As @imjolly  said in message 2, the only time there will be an improvement is when you get full fibre to your house (FTTP) and that is in the hands of Openreach, not BT retail.

Message 7 of 7

Yes I understand, thanks both, appreciate the help. 👍🏻
0 Ratings