cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surfdude
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How to get more, accurate, information from BT re Infinity??

I am getting confused and bored with BT Infinity.

I registered interest last year on the Infinity web-site. The only contact I had was a suggestion to get all the neighbours to sign up to “justify” BT putting in the fibre etc…  Not heard a thing since.

When I renewed by BT broadband contract in December (Option 3), I was told by the sales agent that we would be getting double the line speed within six months (current speed is 2-2.5mb).  I assume this was by BT putting in ADSL MAX.

On Thursday and Friday last week there were a number of BT Openreach vans parked at the end of our small close, and up and down the main road.  I walked out and asked them what they were doing and they told me they were “putting in the fibre” and we should have Infinity within a month.

I realise that BT Broadband and Openreach are not the same company, one is retail and one is wholesale  - but I am quite excited about the possible of faster speeds.

I have been on to the Infinity web-site and entered my details – it tells me Infinity is not in my area, but I will be able to have 6mb (ADSL MAX??) but December 2012.

If I look on SamKnows – it shows my exchange as being 1700 metres away, with BT FTTC enabled, 21CN from next week etc..

O2 and Talk Talk are both offering me double the BT speed NOW !! And Virgin have surveyed and offered much higher speeds.

I would not move to TalkTalk as another family member has not enjoyed best experience, but my son has been using Virgin broadband for two years and loves it.  I have been with BT since 1990, so would prefer not to move

Do I have to cancel my BT service to get them to react?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Brian_d
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to get more, accurate, information from BT re Infinity??

surfdude,considering those guys said they were "installing the fibre", have you tried your land line number on BT's Wholesale Checker lately as the status does change when FTTC becomes available to you:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

surfdude
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Brian,

Juts checked that, it says;

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps.

Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 30th September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 4Mbps and 8Mbps.

0 Ratings
Brian_d
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

surfdude,
I'd keep checking that site every now and then for the updated status.If those guys were installing fibre to your cabinet I wouldn't worry about the ADSL2+ status unless the speeds stated are enough for what you do.
I notice some folks want fibre when they don't need it. I see from those stats you are somewhat closer to your exchange than I am
so I might have been happy enough with your quoted speeds on ADSL2+ come September 2012.

IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

As soon as Infinity becomes available to you BT will email you telling you there now accepting orders for it.

Also keep an eye out for a new Green Cabinet being installed around your area thats another tell tale sign of things moving alone and lastly FTTC Cabs can be found on here and will show your deployment stages ... http://fttc-check.alc.im/

surfdude
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for all the help and advice - really appreciate it.

I checked on the FTTC check and it says;

P65100%7.598aPart of deploymentFTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)

If I get 7.59 uplift on my 2-2.4 mb will be chuffed, in fact 10mb is more than enough for me 

I have seen the new cabinet at the end of the close.

I will sit tight and look our for contact from BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

To be honest I'd keep checking the Wholesale checker. I got my email 3 weeks after I had Infinity installed...
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Mutling
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Same here, cabinets popping up all over. Just hope it rolls out on schedule in Kidderminster.

0 Ratings