cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How to limit broadband access of one of a group of users?

Hi all, I have a BT home hub 4. I have 2 children, and I need to be able to stop access to the internet for one of them periodically whilst leaving access open to myself and my other daughter. I don't think there's any way to set up separate users/passwords with the home hub 4. I'm happy to buy new hardware/ extra hardware if necessary - can I buy separate access points that plug into the rj45 sockets on the back of the back of the hub? Anyone got any ideas? I've done quite a bit of internet searching on this, and got nowhere. I'm not very knowledgeable about routers/wireless/networking, but reasonably technically savvy if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to limit broadband access of one of a group of users?

If your child only has access to one device to access the Internet you could use the "access control" feature on the Homehub. It is easy to set up but is also just as easy to override if your child is computer savy.

The procedure is here. This is for a Homehub 2 & 3 but it is moreor less the same on a Homehub 4

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11364/~/what-is-bt-access-control-and-how-do-i-set-it...

It will block the device from using the Internet but only if it is not already logged on when the "turn off" time is reached. You will need to make sure that the device is logged of prior to that time other wise it will just stay connected.

Message 3 of 7

Thanks very much. I'm going to give this a go.

I guess if necessary I'll just have to power cycle the router if the device is already connected when the turn-off time is reached.

Wish me luck with the teenager. The technical aspects of this may be the least of my worries.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Change the admin password and lock the router in a cupboard. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 7

@gg30340 wrote:

If your child only has access to one device to access the Internet you could use the "access control" feature on the Homehub. It is easy to set up but is also just as easy to override if your child is computer savy.

The procedure is here. This is for a Homehub 2 & 3 but it is moreor less the same on a Homehub 4

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11364/~/what-is-bt-access-control-and-how-do-i-set-it...

It will block the device from using the Internet but only if it is not already logged on when the "turn off" time is reached. You will need to make sure that the device is logged of prior to that time other wise it will just stay connected.

Good Shout GG,

I use access control at home and its great.  I have two teenagers that would spend every waking hour on the internet if they could get away with it.  During school nights BT access control kicks in at 19.30 across all their devices. Funnily enough, that's the only time these two venture from their rooms to make an appearance Smiley Very Happy

Cheers

Sean

Message 6 of 7

@gg30340 wrote:

Maybe this applies to older hubs but certainly on the HH5 the access control will stop internet access at the required time even if the PC or device is already connected.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@brookheather wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

Maybe this applies to older hubs but certainly on the HH5 the access control will stop internet access at the required time even if the PC or device is already connected.

I don't use the Homehub 5 so thanks for clearing that up.

0 Ratings