cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

How to lose your email account!

Since swapping to BT infinity from BT broadband something interesting has happened..... After a couple of months of using the new service we went on holiday. Shortly after our return , we logged on to our yahoo account which we've had since 2005 and found that we could not log in. Telephone call to BT and a password reset , then and here comes the interesting bit .... My email account has been given to someone else ! My partners email account has been wiped and the email inbox has a mix of email from the NEW owner of my account and MY email! Phone call back to BT and lots of questions about data protection .... BT's answer ..... Still waiting . SO my advice watch your email address and prepare your letter to the Information commissioner

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to lose your email account!

If you've had a Yahoo accunt since 2005 then take the issue up with Yahoo.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Its a BT yahoo account and we have spoken to the yahoo desk, but how can bt issue my email account to someone else ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 10

IIRC BT had no agreement with Yahoo back in 2005 and used their own servers for email. If you have a Yahoo account from back then any problem must be addressed to Yahoo.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

@blew1 wrote:

Since swapping to BT infinity from BT broadband something interesting has happened..... After a couple of months of using the new service we went on holiday. Shortly after our return , we logged on to our yahoo account which we've had since 2005 and found that we could not log in. Telephone call to BT and a password reset , then and here comes the interesting bit .... My email account has been given to someone else ! My partners email account has been wiped and the email inbox has a mix of email from the NEW owner of my account and MY email! Phone call back to BT and lots of questions about data protection .... BT's answer ..... Still waiting . SO my advice watch your email address and prepare your letter to the Information commissioner

was your old email address a XXX@yahoo.co.uk or a XXX@btinternet.com

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Yahoo helpdesk told us the email address has been live since 2005 and yes it is @btinternet.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Your email account (name) probably 'belongs' to your providor, not you.  That said, this could constitute an invasion of your privacy.  All I can suggest at this piont is to read the terms an conditions for the account, if the supplier has breached the Ts & Cs then contact them before taking further action.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

@blew1 wrote:

@Yahoo helpdesk told us the email address has been live since 2005 and yes it is @btinternet.com

Hi.

The people to speak to are the BTinternet helpdesk, not Yahoo specifically.

There should be no reason for the email address to be given to someone else. If this was a primary account, then there are only really two reasons I can think of for it now being used by someone else - that being the someone else has the same name as you, and maybe complained to the helpdesk that they can't login to an email address they believe is theirs.

I believe that even cancelled primary accounts can take 7 years before they become available for re-use.

However for someone to complain that they can't login (usually a password problem), then they need to supply security answers in order for the helpdesk to continue.

Have you gone through the "forgotten password" feature ? (See my shortcuts option 3a). You mentioned you contacted BT for a password reset, did they say that you failed to supply the correct security answers ? I'd be surprised if they said it beloinged to someone else.

The other way, is for someone to have hacked into it and changed the password. Is your partners email address a sub account off of your primary ? Have you (or your partner) emailed the "new" owner to ask their opinion of events - be friendly of course.

May I ask how you know that the inbox contains a mix of emails from the new owners and you emails ? Are you referring to the partners inbox ?

Now you're on BTinfinity, were you supplied with a new primary BTinternet email address at the time ? If so, then your existing email address was not used as a continuation, and the email address had possibly gone into limbo and susequently cancelled.

If your partners email account is a sub account, and still working - then using my shortcuts option 12b logging in with the sub account, then you will be able to see the primary email address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 9 of 10

Hi blew1,

If after following the steps in Andy_N's post you're still having issues, feel free to contact us by filling out the form in my profile (the link is in the "about me" section) and we can check to make sure your account is still in order.

Cheers

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

The issue is simple our email address was issued to someone else without our permission. My partners email account was deleted by the "new" owner of the email address as he thought it was a error on his "new" account which was issued to him BY BT . I have contacted the data commissioners office as data protection has been breached by BT . So Dean my account maybe in order until BT decide if they are going to give away my email account again.
0 Ratings