cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zhangzonglan
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

How to make a formal complaint to Ofcom about BT?

How long does it take for a phone line to be activated for a new built property? In our case a new phone line takes 2.5 months already and is still not completed. And absolutely no line over the xmas and new year!Smiley Frustrated

This is the time line of our phone line order:

• 08/10/13: order placed, engineer visit scheduled for 24/10/13;
  • 24/10/13: engineer no show, no notification about the status;
  • between 24/10/13 to 08/11/13: numerous phone calls to BT, was told to chase developer because the problem was with them, BT openreach has to complete a survey on the outside before everything can move forward;
  • 08/11/13: been informed by order management team that we will have an update by 15/11/13, obviously didn't happen;
  • 18/11/13: been told the order got delayed again and the external planning was scheduled to complete on 03/12/13, engineer visit rescheduled for 06/12/13;
  • 05/12/13: got a text message informing us the order got delayed (for the 3rd time) that there were 2 blockages outside for the line and we would be updated on 14/12/13 while another team from BT was telling me the engineer visit is going ahead; took an hour clarify that there would be no engineer visit and we would be updated on 14/12/13;
  • 13/12/13: spoke to BT order management again, was assured that BT openreach engineer was onsite to clear the blockage, and we would be given an appointment on 14/12/13. no further delays was expected;
  • 14/12/13: no phone call from BT all day;
  • 16/12/13: called BT order management, was told BT Openreach engineer only managed to clear on blockage and the other one was schedule for 24/12/13, which is xmas eve! So this is a BT way of telling us that we won't have a phone line during the holiday season and an order of a telephone line will take into the new year!

This is 21st centry Britain we are talking about and a suburb London home we try to have a phone line installed. I am sure it won't even take that long in a remote island in the Pacific ocean! I wonder how regulators like Ofcom can turn a blind eye on the appalling services we get from the providers in this country. Would appreciate if anyone could let me know how to make a formal complaint about BT in this case. I don't care if it is BT openreach's problem, it is BT's collective failure for customer as a corporate!!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to make a formal complaint to Ofcom about BT?

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

On a new build, there can be lots of issues, especially if no infrastucture was initially provided.

BT Retail cannot do anything until they get an update from Openreach.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Once the Forum Mods have read your post they will post an invite here once you reply to them they will take personal ownership of the problem until resolved.
Do not send them a Personal Message as this is the incorrect contact method and cannot be properly tracked also the mod contacted may not be on shift for sometime and this will delay your help

The forum mods normally reply within 3/5 working days after you have contacted them
They will contact you personally by email or phone   

mod contact.JPG

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 4 of 9

If it is new built is it a house on an estate or is it a flat in town ? If the ducting for an ungerground cable is blocked then it hasnt been installed . The survey officer comes out loks at it and reports back. Then contractors/openreach come and clear it . It is usually blocked with cement this takes some time to remove through a ducting. Then the underground engineers have to come and feed cable through it to your house/flat. This has then to be connected up to the green cabinet in the road and then the exchange. It takes a while .I appreciate the time you have waited but BT cant force openreach to go any faster under government regulations to be equal to all suppliers. 

0 Ratings
zhangzonglan
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Understand it might be a openreach issue and new build usually takes longer - and that's why we have been more than accommodating so far. the prob is that our contract relationship is with BT not Openreach. if BT cares about customer services, they  they should be on the case with Openreach (since the latter is their supplier, there must be a service standard between the two otherwise Openreach could be the best place to work because they can unilaterally decide how long it takes them to do a job!)

Along the way we had msgs from BT order management saying we will update you on this date. Don't call us before that date but they failed even to give us the update on the day! Surely this is the culture of not delivering unpleasant msg.

I am 6 months pregnant and on top of another young child and work, having to get stressed about the whole fiasco is just not on! Let alone all the time and money wasted on this just for the basic household service!!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Its just as well you have a mobile phone. Issues with new builds are very common, you only have to look at some of the other posts on this forum.

Its often due to the builders, failing to liaise with Openreach, during the site work.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 7 of 9

You could be right about being told not to deliver "unpleasant" messages. I have always thought that being straight forward and "laying it on the line " is the best approach [although it can make you enemies] Its better to hear some news than "being kept in the dark" The exchange of information isnt always up to date for different depts so some cant comment. Maybe a change in co-ordinating fault reports wouldnt go amiss . It used to be one control [engineering] held all the info. Things have changed. Your situation as you state requires attention .I am sure the Mod will help and get you a working line as soon as humanly possible.

0 Ratings
ChristopherP
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 9

Hi zhangzonglan,

If you fill out the contact us form located in the about me section of my profile we can take a look at this for you.
Cheers,
Chris
BT mod Team.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
bexbex
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

I also have a newbuild home.  Still waiting for phone line after nealy 6 months.

What really gets me it the whole house was built in 6 months and everything worked!!

Its not the builders fault.  Line is live between our house and the green box in the street.  Openreach can't seem to run a line from the green box to the exchange.

Yes I have a mobile phone but guess what it only works on the 3rd floor of our house.  So if I was to have an accident or need an ambulance I would need to climb 2 flights of stairs to be able to call anybody.

You certainly wouldn't know it was 21st century Britain.

0 Ratings