cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

How to power off modem correctly?

Is there a way to correctly power off the modem?

Last week I turned off the modem for 20 minutes by pulling out the power plug by the wall and for some reason my IP profile dropped a whole 5mb!

I have been holding the reset button for 5 seconds every 24 hours and can see my IP profile slowly increment by 0.25mb a day.

I have an appointment with the electricty company in Feb to replace the electricity meter which means there won't be power to my property for at least 30 minutes. I don't want to drop another 5mb due to this so my question is:

Is there a way to correctly power off the modem?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to power off modem correctly?

Not really, if you lose all power then you will get a new IP profile, and the system will see it as there is a fault on the line and lower it, they say it should rise back up after a week or so, but I have never seen that happen.

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I think you have to power cycle the modem every once in a while for the your IP profile to increase because I had a stable line for over 5 weeks and the IP profile stayed the same.

I even tried restarting the router a couple of times but that made no difference.

This was after I dropped from 53mb to 48mb (me powering it off and on several times from the wall socket).

Will be a real pain if my IP profile drops again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 10

Recycling your modem will NOT increase the IP Profile. Powering on and off several times will fool DLM into thinking there is a fault and lower your IP Profile.

t can take 2-3 weeks for the profile to rise again once stability is registered by DLM.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Powering it off once in 28 days will cause the IP profile to drop? That's what happened to me.

I've been power cycled the modem 4 times for the past 4 days (24 hours apart) and have seen it slowly increase, not decrease.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

@liquidfusionv wrote:

Powering it off once in 28 days will cause the IP profile to drop? That's what happened to me.

I've been power cycled the modem 4 times for the past 4 days (24 hours apart) and have seen it slowly increase, not decrease.

You might see your speed go up, but also your ping will go up also.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

True - I've seen my ping go up by 2ms when running speedtest.net

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

My neighbour only turns his modem and router on daily when ever he uses his PC. He gets 76M down and 20M up all the time and has done for last two years. Often works away from home for weeks and still gets same data rate.

So powering on and off makes no difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

@ianm42 wrote:

My neighbour only turns his modem and router on daily when ever he uses his PC. He gets 76M down and 20M up all the time and has done for last two years. Often works away from home for weeks and still gets same data rate.

So powering on and off makes no difference.

It depends how many times you turn it on and off, if you leave it off for some time then there should be no problem, apart from the fact that if an engineer is working close by, he might think your connection is not being used and disconnect it (I have seen that happen).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

You could leave it disconnected for a year and nothing would happen, as long as you're paying for line rental and broadband. 

It's best to leave the modem connected 24/7 if possible, as DLM is very sensitive. 

0 Ratings