Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mazzab1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

How to upgrade physical phone line?

Go to solution

I live in a small village, and we currently have a max broadband speed of 1MB/s - alhtough it rarely achieves this.  As I work from home, I have been following closely the local Council's plans for increasing broadband speed across the area.  The local exchange has now been upgraded to fibre optic, and the local server box thing - where all the local lines go into - sorry don't know the technical term - has also been upgraded.  My next door neighbour has been able to order his improved broadband - up to 17MB/s to take effect from 7th April.  I have rung BT this morning to do the same, and have been told that there is nothing I can do as my phone line is outdated and cannot cope with the higher spped. When I asked how we then solve that issue, I was told I can't and I have to wait for whenever BT will update the whole village.  As I work from home, I obviously need this doing sooner rather than later, how can I get this done?  Or should this be a natural next step as part of upgrading the exchange?  It seems pretty pointless to do all that but then half of the village wouldn't be able to access it anyway?  Feeling very frustrated at the moment and disappointed, so would be obliged if anyone can offer any advise about how to get my physical line upgraded. Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to upgrade physical phone line?

Go to solution

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete your number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

do you have any problems with your phone?  noise, hiss.crackle?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
mazzab1
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Telephone Number  on Exchange HENFIELD is served by Cabinet 11

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)1710.61.30.8--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)13.45.31.20.5--Available

ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available
Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------

Available

0 Ratings
mazzab1
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi imjolly,

Thank you for your help, this is the information from that link...

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
you should be able to order faster broadband with fibre as the speeds you can obtain is below the speeds BT can sell infinity at
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

try phoning the options team and request 'broadband with fibre'  which is infinity for customers with estimates like yours where speed may be below 15mb  0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
mazzab1
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi John & imjolly,

So from the table, would the phoneline not have an effect?  I should be able to get the faster speed?  I know I won't get infinity - but hey, anything is better than 1MB/s!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

your line has estimat 17/10mb and bevcause belwo the 15mb BT have set for connection being classified infinity you get broadband with fibre.  same thing but with different name.  I would phone options team and see what you can negotiate

mazzab1
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

thank you everyone for your help, armed with that information, I'll try again 🙂 many thanks.

0 Ratings