cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Hub 6 doesn't connect but HG612 does?

Hey Folks, (sorry for the long post)

Hoping someone can provide some assistance with a strange problem I am experiencing....

Bear with me!

- On BT Infinity 1 since May 2017. Perfect, no issues 55 down and 9 up.

- Always used my own kit, BT Openreach modem, HG612 paired with a TP Link Archer C3200. Flawless service.

I heard how wonderful the hub 6 was..and I was looking to improve my speed upon hearing about these speed increases on Infinity 1. (Line should be ok to 59 down and 13 up as was previously on Plusnet fibre extra).

Heres the problem! I just cant connect with the hub 6. I cannot connect wirelessly to the hub, I cannot connect via ethernet to the hub. Tried 3 wireless devices and 3 wired PC's, no joy.

The hub does through some strange light dance, usual green, flashing orange, solid orange, blue...then shortly after flashing purple, then green and back to blue (via orange!).

Three support calls placed, replacement hub 6 sent to me but I am experiencing the same problem. I cannot get to 192.168.1.254

Both hubs connected for in excess of 2 hours each (incase of firmware updates/problems) no joy. I all my attempts, I only managed to connect wirelessly once, that to for just over 5 minutes. Then boom, no ip address.

I've done the ip release/ renew, tcp/ip stacks from add/remove with windows components, different mobile devices, a PC that was formally unused on ANY network (just a spare I keep to mess around with new software etc) still no joy.

Why does my HG612 + archer C3200 connect/sync ok and dish out IP addresses.....however my hub 6 does a disco light show....and does not allow me to connect to 'it' ? Can anyone guide me through this madness!

cheers 🙂

PJ

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Hub 6 doesn't connect but HG612 does?

There are no WAN ports on the Smarthub, unless you have the FTTP one, so if you are still using the Openreach modem you need to disconnect it and connect the Smarthub in its place.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear in my jumble of words!

When I test the hub 6, I connect it directly to the bt phone socket.  Then I connect the pc with ethernet and attempt the same via wifi from my laptops + mobiles.

Once this fails, I then unplug the hub 6 completely, and reattach the openreach hg612 and router (archer c3200). which works.

Additional info:

When I did manage to log in just once maybe twice (briefly) 

firmware version SG4B10002244

HUB 6A

Only one BT socket (master)

No extensions, no other BT sockets.

No difference between front plate and master, as no extensions (tried anyway, exactly same results)

Bt mk3 socket

cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Connect up the HH6 and carry out one factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

Once it restarts it should go through the flashing lights sequence and try to establish a connection. There have been some reports that this can take a while so leave it for at least 15 minutes to see if it will establish a connection.

If that doesn't work it could be that you have a faulty hub.

In any event I would keep in mind the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and keep using your original set up.

You will still get any speed increase on Infinity 1 if your line can support it. It has nothing to do with what modem/router you are using.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 6

Why even bother with the (NotSo)Smart Hub? Your present setup is far superior.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Hey,
@gg30340. The BT chap on the phone said the same, leave it connected for 12 hours!! I can't be without the net for that long, so I may swap my setup for the hub 6 over the weekend when I'm out the whole day to see if it works.
I've never heard of this 'leave it plugged in 12 hrs' etc, probably firmware updates?
Anyhow, I tried multiple factory resets to no avail.

The lady on my 2nd call assumed faulty hub 6 and dispatched another. What are the odds both are faulty?

@pippincp.
I thought I'd give the smart hub a try, a backup if you will. Once my hg612 dies (and I'm sure it will, they are quite old now..) I need to have a fallback in place. Hence I was trying to get the BT hub sorted out and configured for such an instance.

Unfortunately, its a disco/light show! I have no idea why its not talking to the street cab/exchange or why I can't log into it.

Its strange.
cheers

*edit* typo..

0 Ratings