cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 123

Re: Hub 6 not connecting to VPN

@stuclark and @anotherother I'm really sorry about the issues you've had connecting to your VPN via the Smart Hub. We've been feeding this back to the Hub team and we'd like to get some further details from you to help with their investigations.  

Please can you use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details including the Hub serial number. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 123

OK so
W10 + HH4 OK
W7 + SH6 OK
W7 +HH4 OK
W10+ SH 6 crash
is this a problem with the way W10 sets up vpn through SH6 or a shortcoming in SH6?
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 123

@Jonkarra 

I don't want to go too far off topic, but I don't agree. GRE can be NAT'd. It's simply a case of changing the private IP address in the IP packet header e.g., 192.168.1.97 to the Public IP address assigned as the Internet address on the Home Hub. 

Here's a screenshot of a session between my Windows 10 PC and the bestukvpn.com server (83.170.104.171).

pptp.png

This is obviously on the private side of the NAT in the Home Hub. If we captured on the public side we'd see traffic between the BT assigned address e.g., 86.X.Y.6 and 83.170.104.171.

Regards

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 34 of 123

I'll be more precise, yes on a one to one ip Nat you can Nat GRE, however it cannot work through a hide Nat where the mapping of ip addresses is not One to One, as it's not tcp or UDP traffic. If you are sat behind the smarthub and attempting to use GRE it won't work as the traffic returning from the remote end point will be lost at the smarthub. I have on a business hub tried to put a device in the DMZ but that still didn't work.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 123

Correct, but PPTP makes use of an Enhanced GRE Header and uses the Call ID to distinguish a specific session.

From the PPTP section of the Cisco CCIE Security Exam Quick Reference Sheets:

"PPTP session negotiation is done over TCP port 1723, and the data traverses the GRE protocol (IP protocol 47). GRE does not have any Layer 4 port information. Consequently, it cannot be port address translated (PATed). PAT is performed for the modified version of GRE (RFC 2637) only when negotiated over the PPTP TCP control channel. PAT is not supported for the unmodified version of GRE (RFC 1701 and RFC 1702). The Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA) inspects PPTP packets and dynamically creates the necessary translations to permit PPTP traffic."

So essentially the GRE Call ID is being used in place of the TCP or UDP port numbers to keep the one to many mapping.

We're obviously talking about the Home/Smart Hub here and not a Cisco ASA, but the fact that PPTP works through a Home Hub with no special configuration or one-to-one NAT, then presumably it performs in the same way.

The PPTP Passthrough and How It Works article discusses this also.

Regards

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 36 of 123

Ahhh I totally missed that you are using GRE instead of ipsec. Not done an unencrypted VPN in many years. I have to admit I wouldn't rely on a commodity router to support an advanced feature like that.
0 Ratings
Message 37 of 123

Same problem, old HH5 works fine, VNP connects and I can see all network drives on work servers.

When I connect HH6 (wired) to PC, the VPN will connect but all network drived are unreachable.

The strange this is if I connect the Hub 5 AC Wireless dongle to the PC and connect to the HH6 via wireless, the VPN works and I can connect to network drives.

In summary, it is only when connected via CAT5 cable to the HH^ that network drives and fail via VPN....

Any ideas BT as it would seem a shame to have to go back to HH5?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 38 of 123

@NeilO I'd be more than happy to help join the list of users you are working with to solve this issue. If you've got any update on a resolution that would be evcen better.

My symptoms are identical i.e. attempting to establish a VPN connection causes my smart hub to reset.

The slight difference with me is I'm using Windows 7 Pro (64bit). As I understand it, everyone else who's had the problem is using Windows 10. I'm using PPTP at the moment, but might have a play around wioth the work Draytek tomorrow to see if other options work, as I've seen reported elsewwhere. 

I've only recently rejoined BT after several hassle-free years with Plusnet. I was tempted back by the special offer and the smart hub. I really wish I hadn't bothered. After seeing this and related threads I thought I'd give the BT support number a try and see if things have improved. Sorry to say but even worse than it was before. After being passed around (expected) I arrived at the 'tech experts' team. Totally clueless. Thank goodness for the forums.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 39 of 123

I have a Draytek box at work and unfortunately can confirm that the issue exists when trying to connect to that too 😞

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 40 of 123

Any update on this?

My wife has recently been forced (by the IT department) to upgrade her work laptop to windows 10 (from 8.1). You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to guess what issue she's now getting when trying to connect to her work VPN from home.

Come on BT/mods what's the word on this??

0 Ratings