Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 196

Re: Hub 6 wireless now unuseable

Go to solution
John46. From reading it would seem people are saying they've been opted out, but it's suddenly become active anyway.

The fact BT WiFi has has been inactive on Smart Hub might make some believe that BT felt or knew they had a problem with it. Perhaps they still do??
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 196

Go to solution
It is not unusual for BT Wi-Fi to reactivate when a firmware change happens as the service is set on by default as it is part of the BT contract
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 196

Go to solution

If that's the case then BT are failing from a contractual, technical and service management perspective.

- I'm not a lawyer, but the way I would see this is that if a user opts out of BT WiFi then "the BT contract" has been amended. For BT to then opt that user back in to BT WiFi without informing them would seem to me to be a breach of contract.

- BT WiFi is enabled and disabled by configuration of the BT Hub, not by the firmware image it is using. If it becomes enabled when a new firmware version is downloaded this would indicate BT are making configuration changes to the Hub at the same time. That's not necessarily unexpected, there are very likely changes that go with a new firmware version, but clearly BT do not push a 'default' configuration. Therefore we must conclude that they are making changes to the configuration that controls BT WiFi, and this is either a conscious decision or a service management failing.

- Assuming BT are not intentionally reactivating BT WiFi then, in the context of a service management framework, unintentional reactivation should be considered an incident i.e., "An unplanned interruption to an IT Service or a reduction in the Quality of an IT Service." If, as you say "it is not unusual for BT Wi-Fi to reactivate", then this should give rise to the identification and investigation of a problem i.e., the cause of one or more incidents.

However you look at this, BT are failing on so many levels.

0 Ratings
angharads1985
Beginner
Message 24 of 196

Go to solution

I have the same issue, which seemed to start at the end of August following an update to my Smart Hub (6)

BT Smart Hub - I cannot connect devices since BT Fon was activated!!!

Somebody please help. It is now the 3rd day of being unable to connect my devices (bar 1 ipad) to my smart hub. I've had the hub about 3 weeks, everything was working fine, 70mbs wireless connection, everything connected great.

2 days ago the router rebooted itself as though it had done an update. My android phone had disconnected.....then other things started dropping out. The morning after all i could connect was one ipad.

I've so far wasted 4 hours chatting to BT trying various fixes. Eventually yesterday they disabled the BT Fon function and it disappeared from my list of available networks. Hey presto the devices all connected. As I breathed a sigh of relieve BT Fon reappeared and everything disconnected from the router again!!!

According to the person I was talking to, it would take 8-24 hours to go back off, and it is definitely now disabled on my account.

24 hours later it is still there and I can't connect anything except the 1 ipad. I'm paying for premium BT fibre that I can't use. My only option now appears to be to waste another 2 hours and see what else they can come up with.

I'm livid, please can anyone suggest anything else? I've tried splitting the networks, smart hub is disabled, and i've changed the WiFi password(?!!)

Since the post above BT has now agreed to send me another Smart Hub, but I am concerned that it will go the same way as the first one. I've currently borrowed a Hub 5 which works fine, however I signed up and am paying for 80mb, not the lower speeds that I get on the Hub 5. I've been advised that it could now take up to 30 days for the BT Fon option to disappear.....
0 Ratings
Elliottj85
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 196

Go to solution
I can't afford to be without Internet access at home. I've bought a 4G dongle and waiting for a HH5 to come in the post.
BT should fully test their hardware before rollout
0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 196

Go to solution
All i can suggest is what i did. I signed up to the bt wifi via the link on the bottom of your account and left it for 24 hours, i then opted out again via the same link and the router rebooted about 22 hours later and the bt wifi was gone. Only half my wireless stuff would connect but did a full reboot (powered off for an hour then powered back up) and have had no problems since.

This smart hub has some serious issues and obviously needed more time in trails, i feel sad because ive helped bt with several problems/trails but didnt get asked for this one. I could easily write a essay on the problems ive had so far.
Kevin_P
Beginner
Message 27 of 196

Go to solution

Hello,

I am currently suffering the same issue, I was sent an email from BT offering an upgrade to the Smart hub 6.

(by extending my contract and paying a small delivery fee).

I plugged in the hub and at first it seemed to be working great.

Then after 24 hours the FON access was switched on and the wireless stopped working.

none of my many wireless devices could connect to the hub.

the wireless was on, but nothing could connect.

After speaking to the 'nice' BT helpdesk i factory reset the device several times, check the wireless password was correct for the third time and reset the device again..

In the end they decided, what i stated in the begining that the device was not working and sent me a new one.

So after I received and connected the second device it had the same issue.

The wireless connected fine until the FON was activated.

I Know that if I complain again, I am only going to sent yet another 'smart hub'.

Currently using a borrowed HH5, stupidly posted my old HH5 back with 1st return envelope.

So what are my options now?

Wait for a firmware upgrade, (would need the hub connected to get the upgrade)

Turn off the FON ( Waiting ~3 weeks) I use the FON outside daily would this also stop the access.

buy myself a new router ( would this also stop the FON?)

?

Using the Infinity 80/20 service.

Regards Kev

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 196

Go to solution

@Kevin_P wrote:

So what are my options now?

Wait for a firmware upgrade, (would need the hub connected to get the upgrade) Hub will need to be connected, upgrades are pushed and cannot be downloaded.

Turn off the FON ( Waiting ~3 weeks) I use the FON outside daily would this also stop the access. YES

buy myself a new router ( would this also stop the FON?) Would stop it being transmitted but you would still be able to use hotspots whilst out and about. A much better option all round.

?

Using the Infinity 80/20 service.

Regards Kev

0 Ratings
Pumps100
Contributor
Message 29 of 196

Go to solution

Just get BT to send you a new hh5. After 3 weeks of misery that's what I did on Saturday. The Smarthub is just not worth wasting your time on. Total junk.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 196

Go to solution

...........just like all the other hubs.

0 Ratings