Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ellemcee
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Hub internet light goes out/connection drops and some slow speed problems

Hi Folks,

I would appreciate it if you have any thoughts on this one please.

Since the end of December I have been having a few internet problems with very slow page loads, and ocassionally when I look at the Hub the internet light has gone out (maybe for about 5-10 secs) then flickers back into life. The Broadband and wireless lights are still on. At first I thought it was a speed problem, but then my BT Vision was still working, so that didn't really add up.

I reset my Home Hub a few times after which everything seemed fine for a few page loads and then page loading slowed right down again. After reading a few other posts on here, I've stopped restarting my Hub and it's been on since Thursday eve and I've just done a speed test (below) - which *seems* OK, but them I'm no expert!

It was all going well, but the internet light has just gone out again - although obviously OK now! Do you think it's a fault with the Hub? I do have an original white one (think it might even be version 1.0 eek!!).

Just to add in more variables - I did notice on the 30th December that I had no dialling tone on the landline. My phone had been playing up so I put it down to that, as when I went out to purchase a cheap corded phone to test it, it was fine later that day, but maybe that was a coincidence and there had been a problem but it had just been fixed?

Oh I should maybe also mention that I only have one phone socket, no extensions.

Any thoughts gratefully received.....

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed           12324 Kbps

0 Kbps  21000 Kbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 12324 Kbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.

Additional Information:

Your DSL Connection Rate :15320 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1188 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 13516 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed    947 Kbps

0 Kbps  1188 Kbps Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 947 Kbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1188 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.

If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Gigabit
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: Hub internet light goes out/connection drops and some slow speed problems

Have you tried the quiet line test: dial 17070 and select "quiet line". The line should be clear with no noise or crackling. On a cordless phone it is normal to hear a dull hum.

Have you tried resetting the Hub to factory defaults: please follow the instructions at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

which hub version do you have  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10490/~/bt-home-hub-security-advice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ellemcee
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Thank you for the speedy replies!

imjolly - Home Hub is version 1.0 (without phone attached)

arobertson545 - yes, I have reset my Hub a few times recently, ometimes just switching on and off, but also using the grey button at the back (last time was Thursday evening).

Just tried the quiet line test and all seems fine.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

there are reports on the forum that the HH1 has problems with 21CN adsl2/2+ connections ( some find it works ok).  I would contact CS India 08001114567 and tell them your line has been upgraded to 21CN and you are having problems with your old HH1 and advising there are posts on the forum from others with same problem.

this normall gets a new HH3 sent out as replacement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Its more likely to be due to a low noise margin, especially if its in the evening. There is another thread which is similar, which you may wish to look at. There are sub suggestions there you may like to try.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Homehub-2-keeps-resetting-broadband-and-phone-...

I use a home hub 1, without any problems. It fully supports ADSL2+, and is probably the best of the home hubs that were supplied.

0 Ratings
ellemcee
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Thanks for all your help - I will try some of the ideas in the other posting whilst I build up the strength to phone customer services re HH3

Where do I get that stats report with the ADSL settings/noise margin in it? If its the Hub Manager then it won't let me in - keeps asking for a password via a pop-up that I don't seem to know....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

I use a home hub 1, without any problems. It fully supports ADSL2+, and is probably the best of the home hubs that were supplied.

keith as I said some people have no problems with the HH1 and adsl2/2+ but there are many other posts on the forum where the HH1 did not work well with adsl2/2+ and getting a new hub solved the problem.  there must be something to it a getting a new hub with this scenario did not seem to cause any problems

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

If you cannot remember the password then you will have to reset the hub to factory default. You do this by holding the "wireless association" button in for 30 seconds. The hub will reload the factory default, then when you access it again, it will ask you to change the password.

ADSL statistics for the home hub 1 can be found by going to this link.

http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=1&l0=6&l1=2

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

The stats page looks like this. (These are from my home hub 1)

adslstats.jpg

0 Ratings