cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Hub problem, what has happened?!

My internet has been fine for a month or so since something got "fixed" at the exchange.

I have been getting a downstream speed of 8125kbps, an IP of 7000kbps and a download speed which is usually above 5000kbps.

Today, it seemed like the Hub reset or something as the lights went out, and only the wireless and broadband light came back on. I opened my browser and it had a message that said something like this "Successfully configured gateway". When I opened it later it said that I wasn't connected to the internet.

I looked at the router stats and my dsl was down to 3,555kbps. I also couldn't connect to the internet by clicking connect on the hub homepage thing.

I turned the hub on and off. I looked at the line stats again and the dsl was back up to 8125kbps. I could connect to the internet. I did a speedtest and instead of asking for the username like it usually does after you enter the phone number, it went straight to the screen which says "your throughput speed is configured at..." and it said 7000k. Brilliant I though, the IP profile is good. The page refreshed and this time it said 760k - this was the upstream speed. The next page showed that my dsl was 576kbps and my download speed was 6680kbps. It also showed my upload speed which it doesn't normally show which was around 300 I can't remember the exact number.

It also asked to do a last test where it asks to change the user name etc. I didn't do this yet.

I just did another speed test and the same thing happened with it skipping the username page, the IP is 1920kbps, the DSL is 8125kbps and the download speed is 2000kbps.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Hub problem, what has happened?!

Advice Only.

I had the same symptoms for the past two weekends which cleared after several hours.

This may be maintenance/upgrading work on the local exchanges etc.

Try to leave the router, do not keep manually resetting it as this is likely to diminish your throughput even after the work is finished.

I hope it stabilizes for you soon.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your reply.

I only resorted to resetting the router as a last resort as I couldn't turn on the internet manually online.

I will keep running the speedtests as often as possible and see if there is an improvement.

If there is work going on at exchanges, I wish BT would show that on the broadband status website.

0 Ratings
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

This is a speedtest done at 18:24

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
3116 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 3116 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :13088 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1132 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 3000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.24:23.75:61.01 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
191 Kbps

0 Kbps1132 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 191 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1132 Kbps

My DSL is showing as 13,088 although when I check on the hub homepage my downstream is 8125.

0 Ratings
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

This is the test done at 21:00

Download Speed
2982 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 2982 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3071 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1139 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 10.17:23.0:66.83 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

Upload Speed
313 Kbps

0 Kbps1139 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 313 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1139 Kbps
0 Ratings
SM
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

11:50 this morning, seems to have improved. Has the speedtester changed so it no longer asks for a username?

Download Speed
7559 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 7559 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8125 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 440 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 19.24:21.23:59.53 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

Upload Speed
210 Kbps

0 Kbps440 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 210 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 440 Kbps
0 Ratings