cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Hub resetting - loss of speed and very high Noise Margin

Over the past few days my HH2.0 has been resetting itself round about 7pm.  It usually starts with the broadband light going amber, then red followed by the whole thing shutting down and restarting.  The first 2 or three times the broadband connection resynced at my normal 1.8Mbps.

However, last night it did not - it's stuck at 160Kbps.  I did run a speed test but I have lost the results because I forgot to save them to notepad and then accidentally copied something else to clipboard by mistake.  The result was 160kbps and the line profile was 1.2Mbps IIRC. 

These are the router stats:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 16:21:27
Downstream160 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)30.4 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)55.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)13.1 dBm / 12.5 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)3
Loss of Signal (Local)3
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)31 / 11
CRC Errors (Down/Up)2 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 10
Error Seconds (Local)5313

As you can see, the noise margin is horrendous.  It has never been like that before and there is no reason why it should be any different.  I ran a quiet line test and considered it to be ok (there was one very small and brief crackle). 

I realise that it will take some hours/days for the connection speed to recover however if the connection keeps dropping then I'm concerned it never will.  I'd be grateful for any advice or ideas on what the underlying cause might be.  Faulty HH perhaps? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Hub resetting - loss of speed and very high Noise Margin

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Connected directly to the master which is the only socket in the house.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

have you tried the test socket and also a new filter?  I really don't expect the faceplate to be faulty but this will make sure

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Given that your speed cannot go any lower you may want to reset the router now,

What happens for me is that durin a bad storm if I get a drop in sync while the line noise has increased then I may sync at anything down to your current rate (if at all) and then when the line noise dies down the noise margin increases and I know it is time for a reset.

Having a very high noise margin points to having a line issue 16 hours before but does not mean that the target margin has increased, for that to happen you need to have a series of resync in short order (the default is 10 in 60 minutes).

So reset the router and see what you get, if the noise margin is still way high then you need to get the mods to reset the target margin and get the line issue sorted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Well, I had tried another filter to no effect but it was an older one.  I got a new one in town this morning and fitted it as well as restarting the hub and now have these results:

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:04:55
Downstream2,912 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)9.5 dB / 18.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)55.0 dB / 31.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.9 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)227038 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1

Hopefully it will stay like that.  I'm still worried that the HH will restart itself at 7pm again tonight though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Yup, now you need to get the cause of the line issue sorted if you find it.

if the problem only happens at a specific time, one solution to avoid the issue is to pull out the adsl cable under after the period of issue and then plug it back in again, but if at that time of night you will probably get a marginally lower sync than you would at this time of day

BTW your issue will not be with the hub I suspect but with noise on the line around that time, if the hub just reset you should have gotten roughly the noral speed. 7pm this time of year is about right for REIN interference, in my location it starts a llttle earlier at the moment, nearer 6pm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Ok, I'll bear that in mind - thanks for all your help guys, I'll leave it as unresolved just for the time being until I can be sure it's ok.

For reference, I was able to tun another speed test and svaed the results this time:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1083 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1083 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2912 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Hi if you can maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days your ip profile should rise to its correct level as will your download speed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Based on you going from 160 to 1250 overnight you are probably on adapative max in which case your profile should go up within 12-14 hours unless you gave a lower sync in that period.

0 Ratings