Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Damo86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 34

Hub strange behaviour

Hi,

My hub has a strange behaviour. From what I noticed so far, it looks like it becomes overloaded easily and it will stop providing signal or else in all the interfaces. I was yesterday using my laptop with skype then i put on the xbox(wired) and it couldn't connect to the internet. I tried restarting the router, power cycle, but no internet. Now my laptop connects but then it will not have internet access, xbox tests still reporting internet connected and internet not connected. I will not get connection on any of the 4 hub interfaces. the hub's lights are all blue so I don't understand.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 34

Re: Hub strange behaviour

you can try downloading inssider2.1 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

try chnaging the hub wifi from default b/g/n to just b/g unless all your devices are 'n' rated

if that does not help and in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Damo86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 34

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a matter of changing wireless channels since the problem also occurs in the wired connection, like I said, I tried plugging in the xbox in all the interfaces, also my vodafone sure signal thing was not receiving signal at all from the ethernet cable.

The last time I've been playing with the channels (to suit my laptop's connection) it didn't go very well, it looks like the automatic one is the best, if I select any other signal drops awfully. but that is ok since I don't think it's a wireless problem.

I have it connected to the main socket with the filter if is that what you are asking. I have one more upstairs in which I have a handset.

I haven't tried a speedtest since I cannot get internet access but my speed was working like usual' not bad.just about 20 megs.I am able to log into the router no problems- I tried to refresh the devices list, in home network, the xbox shows in physical connected, and then it shows disconnected again. pretty weird ehh..

Are there any known issues with the home hub 3? Do you think it is faulty? Also, if you could let mw know, do you have any idea of how many devices it can handle?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 34

if all the lights are blue that suggests that the internet conenction is ok but posting the hub stats as I asked would help

are you conencted to the test socket or can you connect to the test socket as this will eliminat any problems caused by your internal wiringand then post the stats including btspeedtester not beta.  the devices you are describing should not cause a problem for the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Damo86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 34

Hi there,

Sorry but I don't know how to post the stats of the hub, seen a few people doing it but I don't know how! Do you want a screenshot? I can do that.

I am not connected to the test socket, just the main normal telephone socket filtered. I will try to connect to the test socket when I get home,(I'm at work) I think I left my mum with no internet lol.

I was reading the post shown in the site of 'how to test my own socket' it shows you the info too but it says if you can connect a phone and it works then the line is faulty, and if you can connect a phone and it does not work then is faulty too? I am not afraid of these things, I can put hands on no problem just want to know what Im doing.

I will post ths stats when I get home at 5ish, and will try to connect to the test socket too.

Many thanks !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 34

hi did you try downloading the programme insidder2.1 as suggested also have you connected to the test socket as suggested as to the hub being overloaded i have 10+ devices connected to the hub both wireless and wired with no problems at any time

also your hub stats are very important in order to help you further
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 34

hi just highlight the text then copy and paste it in to your reply or a screen shot is as good
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 34

just post the router stats whenever you can there is normally someone around to help

0 Ratings
Damo86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 34

Hi I got home.

I have left it unplugged all the night. now my bro has plugged it in but they said the internet keeps disconnecting, I saw it. I done a factory reset on the hub.

Here are the status

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:    Connected
Connection time:    0 days, 00:08:10
Downstream:    21.4 Mbps
Upstream:    1.074 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:    0/38
Type:    PPPoA
Modulation:    G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:    Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):    3.1 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):    12.5 dB / 7.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):    19.9 dBm / 11.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):    0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):    2 / 32
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):    47 / 7
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    2 / 0

The btspeedtester test was not bad @18megs,0.81 up.

In case you want to see the screenshot http://www.mediafire.com/i/?vsij3qy2c2k3d9b

So are you saying that this can handle more than 10 devices? I have

Wired: xbox, 1pc, vodafone sure signal

Wireless 2 laptop, a pc upstairs, printer (and smartphones when needed)

should it hang/overload like that? I don't know what it is. Probably I made the mistake in resetting the router before taking the stats, now stats could be different..sorry guys.

Do you still want me to test the testing socket?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 34

can you connect to the test socket via a filter please as that will eliminate all your internal wiring from causing a problem and then post new stats

0 Ratings