Let me be very specific and try and detail this clearly as it seems an odd issue.
I've been running W10 since launch and use BT fibre to cabinet together with a Hub 3 and Open Reach modem. Connection is wireless. Reliability and performance has been essentially faultless with 50+ mbs speeds.
The latest W10 major upgrade has come along and so I initially tried an 'upgrade install'. All went well except that I appeared to lose access to a handful of my favourite sites. Even Google ! All I would get would be either a blank white page or the page would load after around 20 seconds. Most sites were fine, just odd ones that were not.
I tried such things as fully purging the browser cache (Edge) and full disk cleanups using Windows 'sageset' options to delete all possible temporary files. No good.
A routher reboot fixed the issue for several hours only for it to return again (the same sites affected). Again a router reboot fixed it.
I now tried a clean install onto an unformatted drive and from the very begininning the same sites would not load. Again, a router reboot fixes it for some indeterminate time. When the issue returns it is always the same sites affected.
Is it possible for there to be some incompatability between an operating system and a router ? I'm really just fishing for information at the moment as to where the issue could lie.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Try a different browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
Thanks for replying.
Tbh I was hoping for some insight into what might be a possible cause of such an issue. I've been using Edge since it launched and am generally very happy with it having no desire to start using alternate browsers.
Going by what you have already done and the reluctance to use a better browser only thing that might have some effect would be setting alternate DNS servers on your PC.
Some you can try, I use the OpenDNS ones (not the filtered servers though).
OpenDNS Filtered servers: DNS servers that block adult content(apparently)
The reason I suggested using a different browser was to try and establish if it was a Microsoft Edge problem or a BT problem because that would then determine what route any further diagnostics would need to take.
It was not to get you to use another browser instead of your preferred browser.
Well you've given me something to go on. As is often the case with these issues, since the last reboot 24 hours ago things have been OK. That fits the pattern though. It did go a full day before without issue.
Liam... thanks. I know how to do that so yes, if it plays up again I will try switching.
gg30340... thanks 🙂 I see where you are coming from now.
One thing I didn't try at the time was flushing the DNS resolver cache, it just didn't register with me with it being a clean install... and I wish I had done so now. If only to see.
I'll keep this updated however things fall. I hope it continues working normally but that would be even more of a mystery.
All was good yesterday and all good for the first 30 minutes today when the problem struck again. Same site affected. This time I suddenly started getting the 'hmm we cant reach that site... try refreshing etc'. All other sites OK.
I tried the DNS flush followed by 'net stop' and 'net start' commands.
That instantly fixed the access issue but only for a one off access to the site. If I clicked anything on the site then the same lockout occured. Again a DNS flush brings it all back for just one time. I could repeat that process. Flush DNS, access once.
I have now switched to Open DNS and all is currently working normally......
Problem has struck again this morning some 24 hours since last time.
This time I accessed the Hub manager and simply clicked on 'Internet Disconnect' which did as it suggests and turned the internet light on the hub to orange. I then reversed that by clicking 'Connect' and find all is working normally again. As before, it was the same sites that were affected.
Have you tried a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.
You should also try switching off your modem for 15mins and switch it back on. This should get you a new IP address which might help.
I hadn't tried a factory reset until now (just this minute done so).
I have variously done resets using the standard 'reset button' on the side of the hub, and have also removed power to both hub and modem several times for this issue.
Will see what happens......