Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Worther_1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Huge Broadband speed drop after repair

Hi all,

I'm really new to this as I've been lucky with fast broadband for years, however thats all changed now!

Recently had problem with phone side of the line, and to cut a long story short the BT Engineer fitted a new cable from the outside junction box on wall of property to the 'master socket'.  I have always used internet through the only other socket inthe house upstairs, and connect directly with ethernet cables.

Since this repair earlier today thge phone is perfect, I ran the 17070 quiet test as recommended on a previous post and there was no noise.  However interent is very very slow.  I've tried resetting router a couple of times, I've disconnected and reconnected all the cables.  I've rebooted PC (win8).  I've run diagnostic as suggested on a previous post, see details below:

The internet feels like dial up speed.

Anybody got any ideas?

I live one mile from exchange and used to get 2Mbps (?) but is was fast.  Will it get faster with time?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 00:17:36
Downstream:283 Kbps
Upstream:888 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):30.8 dB / 14.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):16.5 dB / 8.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Huge Broadband speed drop after repair

Due to all the disconnections / restarts of your hub you are now in a banded profile you need to maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days and you will start to lift out of the banding automatically
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

it is vital that you stop restarting the hub as thats making things worse

this link explains more http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/speed_drop.html
Worther_1
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for quick reply and info, I will certainly do as you prescribe and leave the router on and connected and hope for an improvement!

Thanks again! 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

if your noise margin has not started to drop after 3 + days then post back and we can ask the forum mods to help you further
Worther_1
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Hi all,

Further to the replies to my OP I have left the router connected and not changed any settings or reset it.

I have attempted to use the internet connection during this period and have not noticed any improvement thus far.

[john46] stated it may be worth considering reposting info if the SNR hasn't changed after 3 days, to that end please see information taken from the router a few minutes ago below:

ADSL Line Status 
Connection information  
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 3 days, 21:09:48
Downstream: 283 Kbps
Upstream: 888 Kbps
ADSL settings  
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 30.8 dB / 14.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 16.5 dB / 8.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 0.0 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 631 / 393
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Again I welcome any advice to correct this problem and return the broadband speed to its previous level.

Thanks & Regards,

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

the mods will help get you out banded profile and will post a contact us link when they read this 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 8 of 8

Hi Worther_1,

Thanks for posting back!

I can help get your speed back up to what it should be at now the connection is stable.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Thanks a million,

Robbie

0 Ratings