cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 10

I Told You BT. Tell India lose The Script! And Listen To Your Customers!!!!!

I was with BT on infinitiy 2 tariff, i had some problems with speed my BT Wholesale estimate was 45.9Mbps at time of install i got 28Mbps. Openreach came out fixed somethings and hard set DLM to 45Mbps and i got 35Mbps after i rewiried i was getting 41Mbps on a speed test but my modem was showing an attainable of 45000Kbps even though the sync speed was 52000Kbps so i figured that the cap on the line would not go up anymore because of the cap even if my line was rewired to the FTTC.

A couple of months passed and i was due for renewal but BT Wholesale lowered my estimate to 33.3Mbps the next year. I decided to renew on the unlimited tariff but told the UK sales team that my line is being restricted could they start the retraining of the line. They said i would have to talk to their tech team and was transfered to BT India Cat Mad I told them my line could support faster speeds the line just needs retraining as it was capped at 45Mbps by openreach.

All he said your getting more than you should anyway as your estimate is 33.3Mbps, i adviced him what the BT Wholesale estimate was the year before and told him my line has been rewired and my modem says i can get 52000Kbps can you just restart the training on the line as i believe this will get rid of the hard set DLM by Openreach.

He just kept going back to the script saying it was 33.3Mbps and i was getting 41Mbps so i was getting more than i should anyway. I hopelessly tried telling him i pay for an upto 76Mbps so if it is capable of getting more than what i get at the moment. It was like i was talking to a wall even with what my modem was displaying. So i cancelled my contract and just want to show Proof Of Concept! The line is only 24hours old and already the sync is going back up to it's sync speed of 52000Kbps and the attainable has broken the 45000Kbps DLM barrier. Speeds are still climbing.

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:2
Max:Upstream rate = 8404 Kbps, Downstream rate = 50316 Kbps
Path:0, Upstream rate = 8501 Kbps, Downstream rate = 49011 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783) 
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959) 
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783) 
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) 
       VDSL Port Details       Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:       8404 kbps         50316 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:        1.2 dBm          11.0 dBm

BT as a customer you have lost me for Life and as long as their is a choice of phone/ISP i will never come back! Lesson Listen To The People That Pay You Instead Of Thinking You Know It All From An Estimate Rather Than Someone Giving You Live Stats, A 5min Job Just Cost You £540 In Just Line Rental! Cat Tongue

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: I Told You BT. Tell India lose The Script! And Listen To Your Customers!!!!!

@Enigma123 wrote:

BT as a customer you have lost me for Life and as long as their is a choice of phone/ISP i will never come back! Lesson Listen To The People That Pay You Instead Of Thinking You Know It All From An Estimate Rather Than Someone Giving You Live Stats, A 5min Job Just Cost You £540 In Just Line Rental! Cat Tongue

Yeah you just needed your DLM reset. Unfortunately it appears that the only way to do this is:

1. get a fault fixed on your line, or

2. move to a different ISP.

What they need is a third way - 3. Reset the DLM.

Simples.

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: I Told You BT. Tell India lose The Script! And Listen To Your Customers!!!!!

@legitimise_sailing wrote:

@Enigma123 wrote:

Yeah you just needed your DLM reset. Unfortunately it appears that the only way to do this is:

1. get a fault fixed on your line, or

2. move to a different ISP.

What they need is a third way - 3. Reset the DLM.

Simples.

No i've had faults fixed before but it was because it was a hard cap DLM by Openreach themselfs, i asked if they could send someone out to remove the cap but they said no, they also could have just placed an order for a new 80/20 package and DLM would have been reset as it would stimulate a retraining of the line but it was the hardship of telling someone that wasn't prepaired to listen.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 10

DLM is automated - Openreach weren't picking on you.
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 10

DLM is automated - Openreach weren't picking on you.

No Openreach came out and Hard set DLM via their control centre they took away any Automated aspect of DLM as when Openreach came out my line couldn't get above or near to 45Mbps it was running at 31/32Mbps after i rewired it i was syncing at 52000Kbps but the attainable wouldn't go up more than 45000Kbps. Openreach can hard set DLM this is only via engineer intervention and it was the coaching engineer that told them to put DLM at 45000Kbps as that was the max since rewiring my max has now suppassed the DLM cap. My stats from the 26th of july is proof of that.

xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 8257 Kbps, Downstream rate = 52564 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 8233 Kbps, Downstream rate = 44769 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 10

So how does the engineer remove this supposed "hard cap"?
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 10

So how does the engineer remove this supposed "hard cap"?

They would phone up their control centre as they did to put the Hard Cap on before, DLM is still managed by Openreach and it can be done remotley too although it's designed to be Automated for the ISP Also the ISP can request a DLM rest Too i'll try and find that link.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 10

So like I said, What they need is a third way - 3. Reset the DLM.
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 10

So like I said, What they need is a third way - 3. Reset the DLM.

For the life of me i can't find it. But as you can see from this DLM is managed and ISP's can select the flavour of DLM they want so it would suggest that it can be remotley done but i guess most ISP's don't want to offer this and India sure don't want to go down this road http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/fibretothecabinet/fttc/downloads...

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) features

n Match the way a line is managed to the way your customer uses it:

•   Standard – best overall balance between speed and stability for general internet users

•   Stable – prioritise stability over speed for IPTV videoconferencing, home workers and businesses transferring data and IPTV

•   Speed – prioritise speed over stability for online gamers. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 10

I can imagine the mayhem that would result from thousands of people phoning up India to get their DLM profile changed between Speed, Standard and Stable and the millions phoning up to get their DLM reset when the tiniest bit of interleaving was applied to the line 😞

They couldn't even cope when BT Sport started last week, there were only a few hundred calls but they had to stop answering calls and emails after an hour or so. I'm not sure if they've started again. 😞 😞

The mods have even had to restrict the contact-us form as they were being swamped just by people who had faults - it's now by invitation only. 😞 😞 😞

--