Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

I am being over charged

Go to solution

After a farce of a switch to BT Infinity last October where my phone and broadand were dead for a week, a helpful chap called Robbie from BT called me to sort it out and agreed a charge of £26 pm.

However, on checking my bills I see I'm being charged £27.65. I can't bear the fate-worse-than-death that is a call to the BT overseas call centre trying to explain over and over again so can someone from BT in the UK please call me to sort this out.

I have the email from BT stating he agreed price.

Thanks

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: I am being over charged

Go to solution

Cool. Just had a call from Robbie who confirmed I was being over charged and has arranged a credit. Thanks so much for sorting this!

roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

But now I'm looking at my bills, what on earth is 'BT Privacy' I'm being charged £1.24 a month for? I can't find any reference to that in my order...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

@roger06 wrote:

But now I'm looking at my bills, what on earth is 'BT Privacy' I'm being charged £1.24 a month for? I can't find any reference to that in my order...

That is the charge for caller display, and free registration with the TPS.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8098/~/all-about-bt-privacy

0 Ratings
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks

Doesn't make sense though. I registered with TPS years ago and it's a one off. My Bill states Caller ID is free...

BT Privacy with Caller Display free forW5 Mar-4 Apr 15 £ 1.24 12 months This is made up of: PCredit: Discount Caller Display - £ 0.51

The link you sent says BT Privacy is free for a year so why am I being charged when I only renewed my 12 month contract in November?

Just seems like something I'm being charged for without my knowledge...

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Caller Display was free if ordered with BT Privacy until the beginning of 2014, when a charge of £1.75 a month was imposed. The charge can be avoided by committing to line rental for 12 months. To keep CD free you have to be careful to renew the line rental as well as your service package as the two do not go together.

There was adequate warning of the CD charge and how to avoid it, though the need to keep an eye on the line rental commitment is easily overlooked by customers used to only one renewal a year. The process can be simplified by giving a fresh 12-month line rental commitment at the same time as your next service renewal, then renewing both together in subsequent years. What a palaver.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
roger06
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks. I am on a 12 month contract for Phone & BB and pay line rental for 12 months upfront. There was never any mention of paying for Privacy on renewing either of these. Just a rip off. Guess I'll have to call them after all...

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
I'm surprised that you got the £27.65 broadband cost put back to £26 as I believe £1.65 was the standard rise applied to the £26 package from Dec 1st. BT apply the rises to all existing customers regardless of whether they are still within contract minimum terms or not. So people asking for a rise to be removed don't normally get very far! 🙂

For free caller display did you have that in place when you last renewed your phone line rental contract (it's not the same thing as line rental saver)? Others have reported that if they had still had a few months of free caller display left when renewing the line rental contract then it didn't trigger a new free 12 months. It still ends when originally planned to end.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
BT Privacy with Caller Display is normally £1.75 per month. Your bill details suggests your 12 months free BT Privacy with Caller Display offer ended on Mar 3rd. Hence you got charged £1.24 for the remaining portion of that billing month. Did you take up the original offer on Mar 4th 2014?
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:
renewing the line rental contract then it didn't trigger a new free 12 months. It still ends when originally planned to end.

True, but I was led to believe that when the time comes you can ask for it to be restarted from the same date as your service package so that you can reorder both in one go in subsequent years. Best to do this via the Options Team 0800 800 030 as they're more responsive than the website and other helpdesks. They aligned mine with no problems, in fact they offered to do it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings