cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jroden17
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

I can't cope with these speeds? Need advice.

The best connection I can currently get is 1.5-2mbps, I'm an avid online gamer, but living in a house of 6 is an absolute nightmare, people watching videos on youtube making my games lag like crazy it's not even worth paying for anymore. Not only that my router often cuts out randomly meaning i'll get disconnected from xbox live and will be interrupted from what I was doing. My family know I love my xbox but I can't exactly tell them to stop using the internet just for my sake. This isn't meant to be a whine thread, I apologize.

I was just wondering is there anything that I could possibly do to prevent youtube flooding my connection, maybe if there was a way to prioritize xbox live and just make there streams slower, I still have a Home Hub 2 though and don't think that's possible. Would getting a seperate router help at all? I'm just stuck for ideas to be honest, fed up of extremely slow internet when people in urban environments are enjoying tremendous speeds. 

My questions are how can I stop my router cutting out at random intervals and secondly anything I can do about the speed?

Thanks for reading!

John

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: I can't cope with these speeds? Need advice.

None of the BT-supplied routers have any capability to prioritise traffic to some machines over others.  Look at it another way - the other people in the house are probably fed up with YouTube stopping and buffering every time you use the Xbox.

If you've got the money, there's nothing to stop you having a second line installed.  But two routers on the same line will not work at all.

0 Ratings
jroden17
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

The thing is though Xbox Live uses next to nothing in terms of bandwidth. How much does that cost?

Thanks,

John
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

You could buy a third party router which does QOS and enables you to allocate bandwidth to devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The TP Link TD-W9980 supports bandwidth control.

"IP based Bandwidth Control makes it easier for you to manage the bandwidth of devices that connected to the modem router"

Costs about £65.

0 Ratings