Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 24

Re: I can't get BT to help with unexpected high Broadband usage

Go to solution

@stevmag wrote:
I had a sudden surge at the end of July which took me over my usage limit for that month, now find I've had another surge first 2 days of August. Is this because I have 2 laptops in the house and each one downloads separately.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

This could be windows10 installation downloads. Each one would certainly download that install separately, unless specifically prevented.

Look for a folder $Windows.~BT on each machine, that's the win10 download.

This will be affecting 10s of 1000s of users with limited usage packages.

If not done already, I suggest the Mods inform the help desks that this will be happening, as many users might phone, tweet etc - and could be told incorrect information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

my windows 10 download was in windows/software distribution/download

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution
Hi,
We have had the exact same problem, sudden surge over less than a week. Our usual package of 15.60 for BT business mobile has now transpired to over 800 pounds! Done absolutely nothing different, now wondering if windows 10 is to blame, aware of update on laptop yet not installed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution
Has happened again. Am now on 7.1 GB usage as at 3rd August when my average usage is between 4 and 5 GB's a month. Sorry cannot find folder you mention but have found in Upgrade History 6 instances from 28th July to 4 August an upgrade for Windows 10 home all of which failed. Does this mean Windows 10 is on my computer somewhere, but because I hav'nt installed it upgrades will fail although they will still be sent.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Hi Stevmag,

Spent and hour this morning on the phone to microsoft about charges (not resolved), however they suggested to check out settings for updates.

If you go to your control pannel, windows updates, change settings and look to see if a box is checked for automatic updates/ words to that effect. Ours was selected, but guessing it is a default setting.

Hope this can help.

As far as I can gather though this will stop updates, mine showed as failed also prior. However windows 10 icon and folder still on laptop, unsure how to uninstall, plus it's evidence of windows 10 activity - guess I have to keep for the mean time. 

Lady we spoke to at Microsoft call centre personally seemed unaware of windows 10 instant downloads, or maybe thats what we were led to believe considering it's new programme.

You would think though as an internet provider BT would be aware of this as it's technically out of users hands, windows 10 downloaded automatic.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

I have the same problem.

Have used around 14-15  a month for many years then at the end of July I was way over and had to pay.

Half a day used in August as I was away and it says I have used 5 ??

No windows 10.

I only check and send emails and browse the internet, nothing else.

And nothing different to what I have always done.

Any clues anyone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Just checked and over 4 was download and nearly 1 was upload?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution
It's gone back to normal now, and it is showing Windows Upgrade available on my task bar. So it appears this 'free' upgrade is going to cost me £11:00. Hope its worth it in the end.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

I have been monitoring broadband usage closely this past 10 days and we are back to normal.  I think that in my case the Windows 10 download was to blame.  It's making it difficult to keep the usage under the 10gb for the month though - I have to keep switching off the wi-fi connection on my laptop when I am not actually using the internet just in case Microsoft decide to download a few more gigabytes without me knowing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

I have had a similar problem.  Our allowance is 20 GB and  our average usage is about 8.7 GB. The usage suddenly shot up towards the end of July.  I phoned BT, who told me that I had used over 4 GB on two days.  We did not use it at all for the next day and still it kept on rising until over 20 GB.  We did turn off the hub, but too late, we had gone over the allowance and have to pay the £5 whatever.  I guess it is down to the downloading of the windows 10, because we have not done anything else unusual.  We are now monitoring the usage on a daily basis.  Why is it that the usage updates ahead of the date?  Strange, the date today is 15 August, the usage has updated, but the time and date are 23.59 hrs. 13 August.

0 Ratings