Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billfenton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

I cant use my Live Mail and Galaxy together

Go to solution

I have a bt internet.com Email address and this is my default E Mail.

Since I installed my Galaxy Android tablet a few months ago and try to use at the same time as my Microsoft 8 PC using Live Mail, every couple of days, I receive a error message from Live Mail [800CCC92 Server Error 800CCC90] saying a wrong password has been entered and to authenticate my password via Yahoo. My Signed In  BT Yahoo on line service is not affected and I can send and receive as normal irrespective of this. Once I authenticate the password on Yahoo, the problem goes away immediately. If I try to sign in to my BT account and authenticate vial my Mail, I am asked to change my password as my account may have beed compromised. After changing the password about 10 times I have stopped doing this after BT Help reset the password for me and told me not to keep doing this. They told me that the problem lies eleswhere than BT Mail Yahoo?

I have checked all my settings on both machines many times over and even reinstalled my Galaxy mail account a couple of times as well. I now have to live with just using one computer at a time. Most frustrating. I have used Live Mail for years and because I have extensive calendar and many group mailings in my contacts I want to contnue using this service.

Surely, there must be a compatibility problem between Yahoo and Live Mail and the Galaxy causing this problem? I have scanned through the Community Forum many times and found several references to this same problem but no clear answer, particularly from BT, as to what is causing it.

Can anyone help please? In particular, I would like a BT moderator to to get involved and advise.

Bill Fenton

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: I cant use my Live Mail and Galaxy together

Go to solution

Its not a compatability problem, its an out and out BTYahoo mail problem that they don't seem to be able to get to grips with. Its not a universal problem, some people have it, others don't.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

It might be worth changing the servers to use Yahoo directly rather than mail.btinternet.com. Details if using POP3 here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html  or if using IMAP here https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html

0 Ratings
billfenton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for your interest. I am using POP3.

Bill

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

You can just change the server details on the fly. It might be worth just changing one device first and see if that helps.

0 Ratings
billfenton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for your suggestion. As a relative computer novice, I am very reluctant indeed to start changing my server to Yahoo as you suggest before I have had more community feedback or a bt moderator to get involved and advise. My service is with bt yahoo and it is clearly not working correctly. I and I suggest others too need help to solve the problem.

As I stated my PC Live Mail is using POP3 and my Galaxy is using IMAP. BT help suggest in their settings guidance to use IMAP particularly when using a mobile device [such as my Galaxy Table]. I have therefore tried to a couple of times to commission another Account on Live Mail using IMAP rather than POP3 with a view to making this my default account and see if both machines will then work together. This installs OK downloading all my inbox emails and when I have tried to send test mails to myself a message comes up saying the send has failed as it does not recognise the mail.btinternet.com server! Fiddling around for hours with this, [as well as double checking all the settings as posted by BT and particularly the Outgoing SMTP ones] but, by double clicking on the stalled outbox opening the message up then sending it I have managed to send and receive the test mail. Thinking I have at last cracked it....I switched the IMAP Account to be my default and tried again with another test message....lo and behold I could not send! Very frustrating. I have now deleted the IMAP Account as another wasted effort.

Using only one machine at a time still works faultlessly. I still need HELP.

0 Ratings
billfenton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Update

I have now managed to change my Live Mail account over to IMAP and everything tested out OK after resetting the SMTP outgoing server settings following a prompt error message.

Both machines are now working in tandem and I have been using both to send and receive without any problems all day so far. Let us see if that lasts more than a couple of days as was happening before. Will update the post in due course and set out all the settings I have used for reference on the forum and after hopefully declaring the problem solved!

0 Ratings
billfenton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Further Update.

It is now 1 week and both computers are still working in tandem when I use IMAP on both of them and I have not had to authenticate my password once over this period. Is this the solution?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

If it works, yes. That's not to say that the problem may re-occur at some point.  Some, not all,  BTYahoo accounts have been plagued with password problems for a number of years. As far as I'm aware, nobody (least of all BTYahoo) has yet come up with a definitive cause and solution to the problem.

0 Ratings
billfenton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for your support and experienced guidance. I shall give it a few more days before I declare the problem solved from my point of view....who knows...I might even get a BT Moderator to comment and even endorse before then!

0 Ratings