cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

I downloaded HOW MUCH ?!!

Hi,

I have been on BT infinity broadband for about 5 months now and in general the service has been fine. However I've been having real problems with the wifi recently so I gave CS a call today. Whilst I was on I commented that according to my HH5 I had received over 8gb of data in the last 6 hours and that surely that must have been wrong (the router had reset and so had only been up for 6 hours but showed this massive download). I was gobsmacked to be told that I had on average downloaded about 800 gb per month - that doesn't seem feasible. I have an 11 year old daughter who likes to you tube a bit and I watch a film a week on Netflix etc but I can't see how as a household of 3 that we are using an average of 25gb a day (especially as normally we are only in the house about 12 hours a day and sleeping for at least half of that).

I had thought that the data usage shown on the HH5 might be for data transmitted on our home network as we have a Network Attached Storage box on our home network which we have our family films and photos stored on and we also have a couple of IP cameras that record to this as well. However apparently, according to customer services, that figure quoted on the HH5 is for actual downloads. According to my HH5 we have downloaded about 5 gb in the last 5 hours and yet no-one has been in the house !!

So a couple of questions:

• Is this sort of usage possible?
  • How can I work out what device is downloading such quantities of data? (I suspected it might be my skyHD box but I removed the ethernet cable from that last night and still the figure is leaping up)
  • If someone is using the BTwifi-X bit of my wireless service would that show up on my download usage (if so then  I guess disabling that might help?)

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: I downloaded HOW MUCH ?!!

Welcome to this forum.

This page should help.

Why is my broadband usage so high?

Users of BT WiFi and BT WiFi-x, do not count against your usage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I'm still at a loss to know what device is supposedly consume so much data. Is there anyway that I can interrogate the Homehub to see what device is consuming what amount of data? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 8

Hi, new to forums so bear with me.

I totally empathise with you as I have the same issue.

I have upgraded to BT Infinity Feb 16th, and also had my SKY HD box connected to this via wifi. My usage package was increased from 10 to 20 gig. I have received 3 emails in the short space of little more than a few days saying that I have used from 8Gig (when usage was 10G) to 23Gig !!

I am frankly appalled.

I have read the forums and the comments from the mods and experienced users saying that when connecting to Fibre, some applications that used to 'take a long time' downloading/uploading now do so at an increased speed.

OK hand on heart I downloaded a film which was 6.5G and an episode of Fortitude from OnDemand - don't know how much THAT was. However that should not have raised my usage so exponentially.

Does connecting to SKY via wifi make such a huge difference?

Stumped.... please advice? This is forcing me to upgrade, but if there are any measures I can take without this then better. I have just one thinkpad/laptop connected via ethernet to the HH5, my smartphone connected via WiFi and the Sky HD+ box connected via WiFi. 

Thanks, Roh (PS hope this appends to the bottom of the thread properly! - pls excuse if not).  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 8

Just thought I would give my 2 cents.

These days internet traffic itself is getting to be huge - you say that your daughter watches Youtube a lot. When watching youtube - even with the compression they use, HQ videos use a lot of bandwith.

Also, standard news sites these days have in-built video ads that greatly impact the amount of bandwith you use.

However you say that you do not believe that you use that much or watch a large amount. The only other suggestion is that you have some knd of malware on your computer (possibly a botnet type connection) that is using your connection without your knowledge.

I would suggest getting 2 programs. both of which are freely available on the internet and do not cost designed at identifying these kinds of problems. (best to rule it out)

The 1st is Spybot Search and destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/mirrors/ (use one of the safer networking mirrors to download. This will identify a lot of items (these include browser add-ons so do not be alarmed when the screen fills with items.

You will want to go through this list and use the analyse button to see what each item is and then google how to get rid of specific items if they are suspicious.

The other program is called Hijack this. http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

This will do simela but within the registry and such and this program will also eliminate the problems after you have found any.

If these come up short then I do not what else to suggest.

You could also try disconnecting each device for a day then check to see if your usage is still high therefore eliminating each device seperately.

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Streaming sites such as YouTube are rate adaptive, when they see a good connection they increase the resolution and data rate.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

8GB is quite a small amount of data these days. An hour of HD video can be around that size. If you have unlimited data, then I wouldn't worry about it. The WiFi problems are unrelated to how much you download, it seems to be caused by a firmware update. It's a common issue right now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Hi,

Thanks all for the comments. I'm going to run a little experiment tonight in that before I go to bed I'm going to disable the wifi on my router and only leave my NAS box connected. I can't think what is running on the Box that might need to download such amounts of data but if when I log into the router in the morning and the usage stats show further large download hen I should have culprit (even if I've no idea why it is doing it)
0 Ratings