Time out error when trying to access secure sites only occurs with my laptop operating Windows 7.
I have no problem with my iPad or laptop operating Windows 10.
Am I right in assuming from this that there is no problem with my router?
The problem started on 1st Oct. Only a coincidence that this was the same date as BT withdrew Desktop Help?
Sometimes I have had the message 'Attempting to connect using a DNS server outside of our network'.
They suggest I check the protocol which I have done and it is OK.
Could it be that BT Net Protect plus is corrupted?
I seem to be running out of ideas.
Grateful for some suggestions.
Solved! Go to Solution.
It could be BT Netprotect. You should try turning it off and see what happens. Remember to turn it back on if no improvement although my advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free
If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.
If you do want to use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.
You could also try a different browser in case it is a browser add on that is causing the problem.
If you have BT Desktop Help installed you should uninstall it.
Thank you for your advice.
My timed out problem is the same whatever browser I use.
Turning the BT Web Protect off makes no difference.
I have uninstalled BT NetProtect and then reinstalled it but I still have the same problem.
As this is only a problem with my laptop running Windows 7 64 bit, I am beginning to think there are corrupted files and this is a microsoft problem.
This is what BT have told me as well.
Perhaps they can help.
Maybe I need to do a system restore?
Try starting the computer in "safe mode with networking". This will start the computer with the basic settings it needs to work and should rule out any software that may be causing the problem.
If it does work OK you can the introduce software a program at a time until you find the piece that is causing the problem.
I have run my Windows7 64 bit in safe mode and the problem of a timed out connection on secure sites does not appear.
All my programs on my desktop seem to run OK in safe mode.
Not sure what else I can do in safe mode.
BTW I ran Scannow and it returned:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
I am tempted to run my Windows 7 repair disk,
or do a system recover but the latter might be a bit extreme.
Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.
You might want to try running msconfig.
Once the box appears select the Services tab, then tick the box at the bottom that says 'Hide all Microsoft Services'. Now remove the ticks from all the things that are going to run at start up, with the exception of essential drivers and your AV software.
If that fixes things then you can enable things one at a time and re boot to find the culprit. Ideally software should not be allowed to run unless you are actually using it.
Download one of the free AV solutions you can find online and uninstall NetProtect.
Thanks Liam for the suggestion.
Using msconfig I found out that Rapport was causing the problem.
Some sort of conflict I suppose.
Do n't know why it only started to cause a problem on my Windows 7 pc a few weeks ago.