cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kn0180
Message 1 of 13

I had a call from an alleged BT sales person asking if I wanted to move my Broadband to BT and yes

I had a call from an alleged BT sales person asking if I wanted to move my Broadband to BT and yes this is something I wanted to do. However I have always been told that BT cannot provide the 20mb broadband service that I currently have and that i would have to pay a large connection fee. the sales person assured me I could receive 40mb speed and no connection fee. When I asked from them to send me the T&c's so I could see for myself I was told that you do not send anything out until I have already given my credit card or bank details!!!! This sounds like a con to me and even if it isn't why do think I am going to give my details with no proof of who this person is?
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
andyf941
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: I had a call from an alleged BT sales person asking if I wanted to move my Broadband to BT and y

You're right to think this is a con, no reputable (legitimate) company would ask for details in that manner.  BT comes into that category...just!! Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Re: I had a call from an alleged BT sales person asking if I wanted to move my Broadband to BT and y

@kn0180 wrote:
I had a call from an alleged BT sales person asking if I wanted to move my Broadband to BT and yes this is something I wanted to do. However I have always been told that BT cannot provide the 20mb broadband service that I currently have and that i would have to pay a large connection fee. the sales person assured me I could receive 40mb speed and no connection fee. When I asked from them to send me the T&c's so I could see for myself I was told that you do not send anything out until I have already given my credit card or bank details!!!! This sounds like a con to me and even if it isn't why do think I am going to give my details with no proof of who this person is?

Who's been telling you that, your current broadband provider?

I certainly wouldn't hand over my details on a cold call. There's unlikely to much of a speed difference between whatever broadband service you have now and BT unless you go Infinity which is up to 40Mb.

You can check what BT can offer you by sticking your number in here.

Highlighted
Rachael42
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

As guilbo says for any given line/exchange all service providers speeds are likely to be around the same 

a good rule is never give any details over the phone to anyone who calls you unless you are expecting the call or recognise the number calling you. 

(my response would have been if I wanted to move my broadband then I would have called you not the other way around. Thanks for the call goodbye)

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
0 Ratings
andyf941
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

I think you're missing the point the OP was trying to get across.  He was cold called by somone pretending to be BT, (but they could have pretended to be anyone) and they told him they wouldn't send him any details until they had his bank details.

My response would have been a deal stronger than yours!!

0 Ratings
Rachael42
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

@andyf941 wrote:

My response would have been a deal stronger than yours!!

Yes but my dark sarcasm doesn't quite come across in text form.

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

Don't give us yer dark sarcasm - we don't need no education. Smiley Wink

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

@kn0180 wrote:

You should sign up to the TPS (the Telephone Preference Service). This will stop all unsolicited sales or marketing calls from UK based companies. It will not stop unsolicited calls from abroad/India, but it's still useful.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
andyf941
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

Re-read the original post.  These guys wanted his bank/credit card details, and they weren't going to give him anything in return - aside from hassle with his bank/credit card company.  Criminals won't be signing up to any kind of 'code of conduct' so the TPS isn't of much use.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

@andyf941 wrote:

Re-read the original post.  These guys wanted his bank/credit card details, and they weren't going to give him anything in return - aside from hassle with his bank/credit card company.  Criminals won't be signing up to any kind of 'code of conduct' so the TPS isn't of much use.

*Sigh*

I think you should also re-read my post too. I never said they would. I stated what they will do.

And the TPS also state what types of calls they cannot stop, which includes SCAM calls, on their website. Hence why I provided a link.

And once signed up to the above service, if you do receive a sales call from anyone claiming to be from a UK company, you'll know its a scam! Which is VERY useful.

Rank - Mostly Harmless.