cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 64

Re: I have been charged £30 to cease my broadband!

@DS wrote:

Well I'm on jlh478's side with this one. AFAIK there should be NO financial penalty and s/he should of been able to move to another isp with no charge(s)

BT are after all hiking the prices when budgets are already being squeezed by the other robbing b'stards out there - as in gas and electricity.

I too am seriously considering moving after we get our email:)

I'm sure David can get this sorted, it aint as if BT would miss £30 now, is it*

*based on the PDF I recently read;). Hmm, just how much do these forums save BT each month?:o

£30 is a small amount of money but there is an important principle here.

What I find very frightening is that a company can just say "you owe us £x and if you don't pay we will send round debt collectors and ruin your credit score" and there is really nothing you can do.  

That manager who I spoike to on the live chat is an absolute disgrace.  You could see he was enjoying it.  Michael his name was.  

However this situation turns out, i want to officially complain about him. I don't take threats from oiks like him lightly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 64

Good to see that the complaint is going to be reviewed for you. Reading back I can now see how you've decided this is an act of violence
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 64

@geo1986 wrote:
Good to see that the complaint is going to be reviewed for you. Reading back I can now see how you've decided this is an act of violence

Might sound silly but I take a threat of debt collectors as a threat of violence.  Sending large blokes round to someones house to extort money or property is a threat of violence in my book.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 24 of 64

Hi Guys,

Lets keep it friendly. I'm sure the complaints team will get this sorted for you jlh478 but I'll be happy to check it for you if you wish.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 64

@DavidM wrote:
Hi Guys,

Lets keep it friendly. I'm sure the complaints team will get this sorted for you jlh478 but I'll be happy to check it for you if you wish.

Cheers

David

I have sent you the details.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 64

I'm sorry, but nobody has threatened you with violence.

BT cannot damage your credit score unless a court agrees with them.  If you receive a court summons, do not ignore it.

In the meantime, if a debt collector contacts you, inform them politely but firmly that you do not owe the money, and they should refer the matter back to BT.  After that, refuse to deal with the debt collectors in any way.  Debt collectors are not bailiffs, and cannot seize your property.

You can insist that BT provides you with a record of your initial conversation with them (I'm not sure if it would be a copy of the recording or a transcript) under the data Protection Act, however BT can charge up to £10 for that.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 64

Well, colour me surprised.  The MD's office who promised to contact me have failed to do so.

I get the feeling that they are going to dig their heels in about this £30 that they are trying to steal from me.

I will not pay it.  I will go to prison first.  If BT appointed thugs come knocking on my door they will be filmed and put on youtube under the title "british telecom thugs demand money with menaces"

I am so angry over this because, like the straight honest mug I am, I actually returned all of the equipment to BT even though i could apparently have kept it.  I also had their service for 18 months, paying up to £80 per month sometimes.  And they are being like this for a £30 charge that I should not be liable for.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 64

@Ectophile wrote:

I'm sorry, but nobody has threatened you with violence.

BT cannot damage your credit score unless a court agrees with them.  If you receive a court summons, do not ignore it.

In the meantime, if a debt collector contacts you, inform them politely but firmly that you do not owe the money, and they should refer the matter back to BT.  After that, refuse to deal with the debt collectors in any way.  Debt collectors are not bailiffs, and cannot seize your property.

You can insist that BT provides you with a record of your initial conversation with them (I'm not sure if it would be a copy of the recording or a transcript) under the data Protection Act, however BT can charge up to £10 for that.

My first action would be to inform the debt collectors in writing that I have removed their implied right of access from my property.

If they send it to a debt collector though, charges will be added to the £30.  I do not want a debt collector involved.  If it comes to it I would like BT to directly take me to court so we cut out the **bleep** and the middle man.

In fact, i wonder if I should pay them and then seek free legal advice (ie CAB) to get the money back from BT. How successful that might be I do not know. 

What I do know is that BT will never see any custom from my extended family, ever.  They are despicable thiieves and liars.  Cue a mod to come and delete that bit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 29 of 64

Hi jlh478,

If you don't get your call back then drop me an email with the details and I'll be happy to look into it for you. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 64

s

Success and Vindication!

I have just received a phonecall from a lovely man in the chairman's office. He said that what I have written in that email to the MD is absolutely correct and I do not owe this charge.  He said he is personally amending the account now and is sending me out a final bill with that £30 removed.

He also said that the lady I originally rang to cancel and the manager I spoke to yesterday will both be spoken to and he said "lessons will be learned".