cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 64

Re: I have been charged £30 to cease my broadband!

It's good luck error in their favour. Someone else in the same situation reading this shouldn't expect the same thing to happen.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 42 of 64

@geo1986 wrote:
It's good luck error in their favour. Someone else in the same situation reading this shouldn't expect the same thing to happen.

Luck has nothing to do with it IMHO

Someone else reading this should be able to cease without all the hassle of getting the £30 charge in the first place. One only has to read my previous quote, which was taken from this link - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35832/761,2072,2098

Under the section heading What if I'm unhappy with the price changes?

(posted again just for the benefit of this post)

We're sorry you're are unhappy about how the price rises affect you and would rather that you stayed with BT as we believe we offer fantastic services and products. We've kept a number of our key prices frozen since December 2011 and will be freezing many of our prices again from the 5 January 2013 until 2014 at the earliest. However if you contact us directly within 10 calendar days of receiving our price change notification you may cease your services without penalty.

As BT have written the above, then any other T's & C's are void, aren't they?

Or am I missing something.....?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 64

I still think the penalty charge and the compensation charge do not go hand in hand. That's based on an impartial reading of the T&C and related documents but I'm not adamant about it, and it would be good to have an authoritative statement from BT as to how they see it. 

I doubt that we will get one though. If BT admit that the £30 should not be charged in these circumstances they would be duty bound to trawl for possible refunds. On the other hand if they admit having made an exception they would be inviting more fuss.

It's a can of worms (small can, tiny worms) which they could deal with by quietly tightening up the T&C to make their policy clear.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 44 of 64

@pottyperson wrote:

I still think the penalty charge and the compensation charge do not go hand in hand. That's based on an impartial reading of the T&C and related documents but I'm not adamant about it, and it would be good to have an authoritative statement from BT as to how they see it. 

I doubt that we will get one though. If BT admit that the £30 should not be charged in these circumstances they would be duty bound to trawl for possible refunds. On the other hand if they admit having made an exception they would be inviting more hissy fits.

It's a can of worms (small can, tiny worms) which they could deal with by quietly tightening up the T&C to make their policy clear.

I flagged the mods just after I posted my previous message. I do hope that one of them will clarify the situation coz I'm doubting myself even though the evidence backs me up.

If nobody replies, then I'll go to the top (NOT having a pop at the mods!) as this could well apply to me after I get the email and I know for sure that I'll not be paying.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 64

@DS wrote:
I flagged the mods just after I posted my previous message. I do hope that one of them will clarify the situation coz I'm doubting myself even though the evidence backs me up.

If nobody replies, then I'll go to the top (NOT having a pop at the mods!) as this could well apply to me after I get the email and I know for sure that I'll not be paying.

If the correct procedure is followed by the customer, as in call retentions, mention the price rise, request a MAC code, a customer can leave WITHOUT penalty. This includes any additional services NOT affected by the price rise.

(now just need to find that info in writing;))

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 46 of 64

Hi guys,

Thanks for posting. Seems to be a bit of confusion here so we'll get the definitive answer for you and post up as soon as we get it.

Cheers

David
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 64

'You may cease your services without penalty' Well, you're paying BT for a broadband service, so if you cease it - no penalty. Seems pretty clear to me! Frankly it's disgraceful if BT can't honour their terms and conditions.  What does this say about the way the company is run?  Customers only seem to get help through the forum because BT's customer service is a joke, and an unfunny one at that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 48 of 64

I guess they're going to try to hit me with the £30 "compensatory" charge too. So far there's been no word of it, and I too am using the price rise as my escape vehicle. They've come up with a figure of about £60 for terminating early which will appear on the final bill and I then have to call and get them to remove.

Also, why is there no VAT on the £30 "compensatory" charge? Sounds like BT are pulling a fast one on customers and the tax man.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 64

@minusdot wrote:

I guess they're going to try to hit me with the £30 "compensatory" charge too. So far there's been no word of it, and I too am using the price rise as my escape vehicle. They've come up with a figure of about £60 for terminating early which will appear on the final bill and I then have to call and get them to remove.

Also, why is there no VAT on the £30 "compensatory" charge? Sounds like BT are pulling a fast one on customers and the tax man.

If you're not going to another ISP with a MAC code, it would be interesting to hear whether you get the charge or not.

Can't imagine BT pulling a VAT scam in public without HMRC noticing. Anyway, if the charge was subject to VAT it would presumably be £36, so what BT say is to the benefit of the customer isn't it?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 50 of 64

Hi Guy,

I wanted to offer some clarification on the subject of the broadband termination charge.  The BB cease charge is not contract dependant.  There is a clause in your contract that if BT make any changes to our terms and conditions which leaves you worse off, like a price change, then any contract related charges will be waived, provided you notify us of your wish to cease your service within 10 days of receiving your notification.

The broadband cease charge will be applied to any customer completely ceasing their broadband service without using the MAC process.  This charge can be avoided if you request a MAC from BT and transfer your service to a different supplier using that MAC.

I hope this clarifies things.

Cheers