cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 51 of 64

Re: I have been charged £30 to cease my broadband!

And what if you asked for a MAC but were told it wasn't necessary?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 64

If your at an unbundled exchange and don't need a mac code to change to another provider using the same line then you don't get charged £30. Ie if your going to sky, talk talk, Plusnet etc.

If you go to someone using their own lines (normally Virgin) you pay the £30.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 53 of 64

@SeanD wrote:

Hi Guy,

I wanted to offer some clarification on the subject of the broadband termination charge.  The BB cease charge is not contract dependant.  There is a clause in your contract that if BT make any changes to our terms and conditions which leaves you worse off, like a price change, then any contract related charges will be waived, provided you notify us of your wish to cease your service within 10 days of receiving your notification.

The broadband cease charge will be applied to any customer completely ceasing their broadband service without using the MAC process.  This charge can be avoided if you request a MAC from BT and transfer your service to a different supplier using that MAC.

I hope this clarifies things.

Cheers

Hi Sean and thanks for that:)

Will this info be added to the website?

I posted what i thought was the correct method earlier in this thread but couldn't actually find it in writing.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 54 of 64

I have received my final bill from BT after moving to another supplier and it included a £30 "cessation"charge. A quick call to BT billing to point out that I transferred my broadband service to another provider using a mac code and the the charge was removed from my bill. I logged onto this forum to see if anyone else had had this problem and I've just had the funniest half an hour I've had in ages, thanks to the earlier posts. Well worth a look back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 64

Well, BT couldn't resist just peeing me off one last time.

So, on the 14th November the bill was altered and the complaints guy assured me I would have until 31st November to pay it.  Guess what....I had a letter on the 23rd November threatening me with debt collectors.

I am afraid I am back to the position where I will never have BT again.  They are truly incompetent and despicable.

Also, just a quick reply to the people on here claiming the charge was simply waived for me:

The charge should never have existed.  I wanted to switch provider within the 10 day period after price rise notification.  I was wrongly told I couldn't.  Not only did I get the false charge, but I also spent 3 weeks without a landline phoning new providers at 50p per minute.  In fact I think I am owed compensation from BT for this.

After this I would never risk using BT again.  My advice to anyone else is steer well clear. I have now decided to 'believe in better'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 64

You've already got let off with an Ofcom approved legal £30 charge because of an advisor error, good luck with the 50 pences!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 57 of 64

@SeanD wrote:

Hi Guy,

I wanted to offer some clarification on the subject of the broadband termination charge.  The BB cease charge is not contract dependant.  There is a clause in your contract that if BT make any changes to our terms and conditions which leaves you worse off, like a price change, then any contract related charges will be waived, provided you notify us of your wish to cease your service within 10 days of receiving your notification.

The broadband cease charge will be applied to any customer completely ceasing their broadband service without using the MAC process.  This charge can be avoided if you request a MAC from BT and transfer your service to a different supplier using that MAC.

I hope this clarifies things.

Cheers

At the moment, as there is no process within OR to provide a MAC for moving from one FTTC provider to another, then surely the cease fee cannot be applied as the customer at no fault of their own cannot use a MAC as OR won't provide them

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 64

@geo1986 wrote:
You've already got let off with an Ofcom approved legal £30 charge because of an advisor error, good luck with the 50 pences!

This is blatant trolling. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 64

Just to clarify, for the hard of thinking:

If I had requested my broadband to cease then I accept I would have been responsible for a £30 charge.  I didn't.  I requested to change provider without penalty due to the price rises.  I was told by someone that this wasn't possible and I would have to cease my broadband.

The guy in complaints said that anyone within the 10 days should be allowed to switch provider free and that my broadband should never have been ceased.

People seem to be deliberately missing the point in order to troll the thread.  I never asked for the line to be ceased and that is why I do not owe the charge.  And that is why the complaints department agreed fully with me and removed the charge.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 60 of 64

Please read the whole thread again, from the beginning as jlh478 did mention the price rise in the very first post;)

IMHO if jlh didn't mention the price rise during their conversation with a BT rep, then YES they should of paid the £30 charge. It was (I can only take jlh's word for it) BT whom messed up, possibly because the BT rep didn't know about the price rise 'no penalty' details.

Nothing was waived as the charge was incorrect

And that's why I became involved as there is NO penalty when it comes to the price rise (thus there was nothing to get let off with:))

Can we all stop having a pop at our fellow customers? Is this possible?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-